Monday, July 11, 2016

Strawberry Basil Mojito for #SecretRecipeClub

I was pretty stoked this month when I learned my assignment for SRC was the lovely Nichole of Cookaholic Wife.  You see, while I may be new to Group B of this club, I am very familiar with Nichole's blog, as we have been in many events together.  Most recently we completed #CookoutWeek and Nichole had tons of great recipes that she put out there for us but the recipe I chose was from our Fresh Tasty Valentine event way back in February.


I printed out this recipe back then with the thought of making it this summer when fresh basil was abundant and strawberries were in season.  How advantageous is it that I was assigned Nichole's blog in July?!!  Providence...this was definitely a match made in Heaven...and this drink is Heavenly!!



Speaking of a match made in heaven, take a look at the photo gracing Nichole's page telling you about herself and her blog. But first make yourself this drink...then go read about Nichole as you sip this refreshing drink.  Better make a double batch because I have a feeling that once you get to the Cookaholic Wife you are going to be there for a while perusing 7 years worth of wonderful recipes and memories.

Strawberry Basil Mojito
slightly adapted from Cookaholic Wife

1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. fresh basil leaves + 3 additional leaves
1 c. fresh strawberries, sliced
1/2 c. white rum
juice from 1/2 lime
club soda
strawberries, basil and lime for garnish

Prepare a basil simple syrup by placing the water and sugar in a small saucepan and cooking over med high heat, stirring until sugar melts.  Reduce the heat to low, add the basil leaves and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place the strawberries, 3 basil leaves and lime juice in a cocktail shaker and muddle with a muddler or wooden spoon.  Strain the solids from the simple syrup and add to the cocktail shaker with the rum.  Shake until well combined.

Fill 4 tall glasses with ice, divide the rum mixture between the glasses and top with club soda.  Stir to combine and garnish with lime slices, basil leaves and a strawberry if desired.  Print Recipe

Secret Recipe Club is a group of Food Bloggers divided into 3 subsets.  Each month we are assigned a blogger within our subset to learn more about.  We read through their blogs, follow them on facebook and, best of all, peruse all their recipes until we find one that we can't resist.  We make said recipe and then come together on our assigned day (for my subset it is the second Monday of each month) and reveal whose blog we were assigned and what we were inspired to make.




Here is what the other Group B Members are sharing today

22 comments:

  1. You are right, perfect for the summer! Refreshing and tasty! Great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Mojitos!! This looks and sounds terrific!! I will have to add that to my list, that starts with the Blueberry Margarita I found here on your blog this month!! Had fun cooking from your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did Michaela. I feel right at home here in group B now.

      Delete
  3. So glad you liked it and thank you so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, such a great selection, especially in the heat of July. Where do you hear of all your food events? I would love to join some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly through these clubs. Camilla runs a lot of them as does Allison of the Pintertest Kitchen. If we are not friends on facebook, friend me and then when you see an event you want to join let me know.

      Delete
  5. What an interesting twist on the usual mojito! I bet it tastes so refreshing with all the fresh ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! A perfect cocktail! The fresh peaches will be here to my house on Wednesday. Time to start looking for peach recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to be posting a few peach recipes in the next week Paula.

      Delete
  7. Oh my hubby would love these, he loves a good basil mojito! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really does sound like a refreshing drink. Perfect for summer and lovely that you finally had the perfect excuse to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these clubs and events that give me a reason to try new things Corina.

      Delete
  9. Yum! Perfect way to use my basil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oh my what a perfect summery refreshment! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.