Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Corn and Peach Salsa for Crazy Ingredient Challenge

Welcome to Crazy Ingredient Challenge, our bloggers version of Chopped.  It is not quite as difficult as Chopped but the premise is the same.  We are given 2 ingredients that we have to use in a recipe. The members of this group, vote in two categories at the end of one month so that we can know what two foods we will be using for the following month.  This month the two items chosen were Corn and Peaches.  Not a bad combo....so it should be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

I had gone to the Farmer's market and had picked up a lot of goodies that I was able to use along with the sweet cob corn and basket full of peaches that I bought.  I had some sweet Vidalia onion, some jalapenos and lots of basil.  I decided to create a salsa using these ingredients.


I make a lot of salsas.  This Zesty Peach Salsa that I canned last year was the bomb. I also can Salsa Verde and my regular Salsa each season.  I have made Mango Salsa and also a Mango Mojo Salsa.  I made a Greek Salsa to go with some kebabs that I made.  I made an awesome Cast Iron Skillet Salsa and I have even made another using corn in this Corn and Avocado Salsa.


All of those salsas, and trust me when I tell you they are absolutely awesome salsas.....and now I have a new favorite.  This Corn and Peach Salsa, that I created after reviewing numerous corn and peach salsas on the internet, has a perfect blend of sweet and spice.  I love the addition of basil instead of cilantro in this version.  I grilled the corn to bring out the natural sweet goodness, added some vidalia onion, peeled and chopped some farm fresh peaches to add to the mix, finely diced a jalapeno and coarsely chopped some basil.  That's it, the only other thing in this recipe is freshly squeezed lime juice.  Easy, peasy, healthy and delicious.  The perfect recipe.  Enjoy and then take a look at what the others created using corn and peaches. 

Corn and Peach Salsa

4 ears sweet corn
4 peaches
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 c. Vidalia onion, diced
Juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

Turn grill to high heat.  Shuck corn, rinse and place onto the hot grill.  Grill for about 2-3 minutes per side, allowing some of the kernels to brown. Remove kernels from cob with a sharp knife.  Place into a large bowl.  Set aside.

Boil a pot of water, make an x with a sharp knife on the bottom of each peach.  Plunge into boiling water, after a minute or two, remove from boiling water and immediately plunge into ice water.  Peel the peaches, remove pit and cut into small dice.  Place in bowl with the corn.  Add the jalapeno and onion, sprinkle with the lime juice and toss all ingredients to coat.  Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.  Print Recipe

Let's take a look at what the others are creating!






9 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike. Salsa was a very popular idea this month. Can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. And I have a big bowl of peaches yet to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how great this tastes with the grilled corn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you grilled the corn. And basil is better than cilantro just about any day. :) Nice salsa, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so fresh and tasty, Wendy. I can see that on top of a great salmon steak!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.