Sunday, January 9, 2022

Huevos Rancheros Verde #SundayFunday

 Huevos Rancheros translates to Ranch Style Eggs.  This is a breakfast commonly served to ranch hands in Mexico to help them power through busy, active days.  I am sharing a lightened up version that is just as delicious but better suited for a less busy lifestyle and career.

Huevos Rancheros

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing Egg recipes today......
Sunday Funday Logo
Rebekah of Making Miracles invited us to join her today saying: "Let's celebrate the Incredible Edible Egg. Make any type of dish - appetizer, soup, salad, entrée, sweet, savory, etc. Just make sure the egg is the star of the show! "

Let's take a look at what the others are sharing today.......


tortillas

I'm trying to start 2022 off a little healthier.  I think it is working because my husband was diagnosed COVID positive on the first and as of this morning I have had no symptoms and I am feeling fine.  He is feeling fine now too.  I credit the vaccines, boosters and the fact that I have been striving to make healthy, nutritious meals for us.

I lightened this dish up in several ways. Instead of frying the corn tortillas, I misted them with olive oil and warmed them in the oven.

tortillas with beans

Instead of using refried beans, I tossed a tri bean blend with some salsa verde, and placed them on top of the tortillas.  I omitted chorizo and served this up for brinner on Meatless Monday.

Huevos Rancheros

I did not, however, use low fat cheese.  Everything in moderation, right?  I think low fat cheese tastes like plastic, I would rather not have cheese at all, if I can't have the real thing.  There is only about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of cheese on each serving so go ahead and splurge.



Huevos Rancheros Pin

My last adaptation was to use a non stick skillet and no oil or butter for the eggs.  I add a bit of water to the pan and covered it until they were set to our liking.  

Huevos Ranchers

I finished these off with a salad of romaine, scallions and cilantro and passed the salsa verde for us to dress as desired.  




13 comments:

  1. Very nice lightened up version! Congrats on not getting sick too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I was happy and even more happy that Frank's was so mild.

      Delete
  2. Huevos ranchros are definitely one of my favorites! I have never added any meat to them, though. So your version isn't far off of the way I make them. I guess we all wish that eating better would protect us from disease, but with covid, I'm not sure that works. One data point isn't enough.

    best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think we all just need to get vaccinated and boosted Mae and pray for the best. Stay well.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree on the real cheese vs the low fat. Good decision. When I am trying to watch fat intake, I use a hard cheese like Parmesan or Pecorino Romano instead of cheddar because it takes less to get that real cheese flavor in there. I would love your huevos rancheros just as you made them, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look DELICIOUS!! One of my favorite meals I had when I visited New Mexico was Huevos Rancheros; I can't wait to make this at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my to go meal, prefect and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks fabulous. Happy to hear Frank is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy like this quick version of Huevos Rancheros. And I will have to try it out with salsa verde next time I make them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.