Thursday, January 20, 2022

Joconde #CakeSliceBakers

 Light, almond flavored sponge cake filled with whipped cream and fresh berries, jelly roll style.  

Jaconde

This is The Cake Slice Bakers 2022 Edition.......


Cake Slice Bakers Logo


Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is Zoë Bakes Cakes by Zoē François. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the links below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.


Zoe Bakes Cakes


It is a new year and a new book - Zoë Bakes Cakes - and our choices for January 2022 were ~

Pear-Cardamom Cake

I served this up on New Year's Eve when we were eating all the "lucky" foods we could find to bring us a better 2022.  I think we can all agree that 2021 was pretty much a disaster.

Both nuts and round fruits are believed to bring good luck to those who eat them on New Years.  So this cake using almond flour was the perfect foil for me to add raspberries, blueberries and blackberries to finish up our dinner.  

This was the first cake that I baked from our new Cookbook this year, Zoe Bakes Cakes.  I have to say that this first experience was very positive.  The directions were concise and easy to understand.  There were links back to other pages that talked about techniques in case you weren't familiar with them.


Joconde pin

The cake was delicious and I am happy to share it with you.  I have included my adaptation of the whipped cream and berries however this cake can be made with any filling you enjoy. Perhaps strawberries and cream in the summertime or chocolate mousse to make a Buche de Noel.  A lemon filling would be lovely as well.





12 comments:

  1. I've heard of that cake before, and it looks delicious. I wondered why you changed the spelling from joconde (the French name for Mona Lisa, who is said to have inspired the cake) to jaconde.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't name the cake, it was written Jaconde in the cookbook we are following this year.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for pointing out my error. When I went back and reread this post after your comment I noticed that I had misspelled the name of this cake. Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it in my title and in my recipe card. The pin, unfortunately is going to remain incorrect.

      Delete
    3. Just happens that I'm a total nut about Mona Lisa (AKA La Joconde).

      mae

      Delete
  2. Beautiful presentation!! Sponge cakes intimidate me! Love the good luck foods for New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love the lucky food theme! Knock on wood, eat some of this cake, and have a big bowl of black-eyed peas, and cheers to a much better year in 2022! Your cake looks so yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this was terrific for New Years! Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, and I love your ideas for switching it up seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that this is continuing to bring you good luck. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.