Saturday, October 18, 2014

Soup Saturday

I have been getting tons of cabbage from my CSA that I needed to use and I remembered that I had some cooked Corned Beef in the freezer, left over from this dinner.  I thought about making a corned beef and cabbage casserole but then I decided to make a corned beef and cabbage soup for Soup Saturday.


I gathered together the ingredients I needed.


Cut, diced, chopped and threw them all in a pot.
Turned it on and walked away.


Came home after Mass and the house smelled lovely.
Dinner was served and it was yummy.

I did a google search and found several different recipes.  I read through each one (all were very similar) and then took a little of this and that from each one and created the soup I am sharing with you today.  It turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup

1 lb cooked corned beef, cut into bite size pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 small or 1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 1/2 large carrots or 3 small carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 large head or 1 small head cabbage, cut into bite size chunks
1 qt. tomatoes with their juices
1 bottle dark beer
4 c. chicken broth
generous amount of pepper to taste
3/4 c. white rice
2 T. Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hrs. Taste and season with additional pepper and salt if needed.  Print Recipe

Sharing this recipe at Simple Supper Tuesday, stop by for some delicious yet simple recipes!

One year ago--Freaky Friday



7 comments:

  1. Its sounds wonderful. I am sure neither of my teens would touch it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made a ton too. I have leftovers in the Fridge and Freezer

      Delete
  2. This soup sounds fantastic and it is being featured this week at Simple Supper Tuesday. I hop you can party with us again starting Monday night at 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of white rice did you use for this one, Wendy? I am putting it on my menu plan for the day before St. Patty's Day - looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just plain white long grain rice Sarah, I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Wendy :) Can't wait for it!

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.