Monday, April 20, 2015

Time to break out the grill.....

The weather isn't the greatest here in Michigan but it is much better than it has been so I declared that it was time to start acting like it was Spring and break out the grill.  That means that food gets a little lighter, less sauces and gravies, less braising and roasting and more salads, veggies and grilled meats.

Saturday, we grilled some Carribean Spiced Pork Chops and topped them with some Mango Mojo Salsa.  I adapted this recipe from one that I found in Cuisine at Home back in 2004.  The recipe calls for Pork Tenderloin and I have used Tenderloin in the past with great results but Saturday I used bone in Pork Chops and they turned out lovely as well.  I have also used boneless pork chops and I'm sure this rub would be delicious on ribs too.



Caribbean Spiced Pork Chops

Island Pork Rub

1 T. Paprika
1 T. Chili Powder
1 T. Dried Oregano
1 t. Kosher Salt
1/2 t. Red Pepper Flakes

Combine all ingredients in a small container.

Mojo and Basting Sauce

Juice from 1 orange
Juice from 1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of kosher salt
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 T. honey
1 T. olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake to incorporate. Reserve 1/4 c. for salsa (recipe below)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rub the pork chops on both sides with the Island Rub.  Save the remainder for another day.

Grill the chops over med high heat, flipping occasionally and brushing with basting sauce until pork reaches internal temperature of 145*.  Print Recipe

Serve topped with Mango Mojo Salsa (recipe below)


Mango Mojo Salsa

2 c. ripe mango, diced
1 T. chopped fresh cilanto
1/4 c. of the above Basting and Mojo Sauce

Toss all ingredients lightly in a bowl.  Let set while grilling the pork so that flavors meld together. Print Recipe





4 comments:

  1. Richard loved grilling starting at this time of the year. I hardly even had the grill out last year. I guess I may have to figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darian can take over the grilling chores. You can relax and let them take care of you .

      Delete
  2. Caribbean Spiced Pork Chops sound amazing! Not so warm the last days here either but I did 'set-up' the balcony for summer and tested out the BBQ this weekend to make sure it still worked lol.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.