Friday, November 20, 2020

Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding paired with Lion De Tanesse L'Amour #CakeSliceBakers #Winophiles

This delicious, chocolatey, gooey cake is so amazing.  Paired with a glass of Sweet Bordeaux it was exactly the kind of comfort I needed as the holidays approach during this ongoing pandemic.

Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding with wine

Join me as The Cake Slice Bakers collides with the French Winophiles..........


Cake Slice Bakers logo


Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is The New Way To Cake by Benjamina Ebuehi. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.


Cookbook


It is coming to the end of the year and the end of our current book - The New Way To Cake - and our choices for November 2020 were ~ 


Hazelnut, Pear & Espresso Cake

Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding

Double Ginger and Grapefruit Cakes
Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding

I am so glad this cake was one of the choices and even happier that I chose it.  If you love molten lava cakes you are going to love this easy and delicious version. 


wine

And if you want to love it even more.....get yourself a bottle of this Lion de Tanesse L'Amour.  Aptly named because.....as I keep saying.....you are going to love it!!!

This bottle of Sweet Bordeaux is 85% Semillon and 15% Sauvignon.  It is lightly sweet, not cloyingly sweet which was a very happy thing for me.  Not only was it the perfect wine for this chocolatey dessert but it also was pleasant to sip all by itself.

Linda of My Full Wine Glass and Jeff of Food Wine Click invited us to join them tomorrow, November 21, for twitter chat where we would be discussing and exploring the sweet wines of Bordeaux.  You can join us at 11 AM ET by following #Winophiles.  

Here are the topics we will be discussing.......
You can learn more about this event and what prompted it in Linda's Preview Post.  Linda does a great job of explaining the whole concept that we call "noble rot".  

Bottles of Wine

Linda and Jeff also arranged for us to receive samples of Sweet Bordeaux for the purposes of this month's chat.  As always all opinions are completely my own.  

dinner plate with wine

I also did a paring with the La Hargue Bordeaux, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Sauvignon Gris, Muscadelle and Semillon.  I paired this with a Mushroom and Boursin Cheese Omelet.  The La Hargue was a bit sweeter than the Lion De Tanesse, or perhaps it just seemed so because I was pairing it with a savory dish rather than a sweet dish. This pairing was nice as well but the Hot Chocolate and Halve Pudding with the Lion De Tanesse was spectacular.

I am saving the other two bottles to serve with dessert on Thanksgiving so stay tuned to see how those pairings go.  Remember to stop by and say hi tomorrow.....11 AM ET following #Winophiles.

On to my recipe for this amazing cake.  I halved the recipe as there are only 3 of us and the full recipe feeds 10-12.  I'm glad I did because I couldn't stop eating this cake.


    Desserts, Cakes, Chocolate
    Desserts, Cake
    American
    Yield: 6 servings
    Author: Wendy Klik
    Print
    Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding

    Hot Chocolate and Halva Pudding

    This delicious, chocolatey, gooey cake is so amazing. Paired with a glass of Sweet Bordeaux it was exactly the kind of comfort I needed as the holidays approach during this ongoing pandemic.
    Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 30 Min

    Ingredients

    • 1/2 c. flour
    • 2/3 c. brown sugar, divided
    • 1/2 t. baking powder
    • pinch of salt
    • 1/4 c. milk
    • 1 egg
    • 2 1/2 T. butter, melted
    • 1/2 t. vanilla
    • 1/4 c. vanilla halva, roughly chopped
    • 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips
    • 2 T. cocoa powder
    • 1/2 c. boiling water
    • 1/2 t. instant coffee

    Instructions

    1. Place the flour, 1/3 cup of the brown sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed to break up any clumps.
    2. Add the milk, egg, butter and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine.  Increase speed and mix until batter is smooth.
    3. Turn the speed to low and mix in the halva and chocolate chips.  Pour into an 8" square baking pan that has been treated with baking spray. 
    4. Add the cocoa powder, remaining brown sugar and instant coffee to the boiling water, stirring until dissolved.  Pour this gently on top of the batter in the baking pan.  Do not stir.  
    5. Place in a preheated 350* oven for about 25 minutes, until cake is puffy and just set.  When you break the crust you will find a pool of chocolate sauce. Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.

    Notes:

    Adapted from a recipe found in The New Way to Cake.

    Calories

    288.38

    Fat (grams)

    10.40

    Sat. Fat (grams)

    5.85

    Carbs (grams)

    40.25

    Fiber (grams)

    1.47

    Net carbs

    38.78

    Sugar (grams)

    29.20

    Protein (grams)

    4.16

    Sodium (milligrams)

    143.14

    Cholesterol (grams)

    49.75
    Nutritional info for one full loaf of bread.
    Created using The Recipes Generator

    25 comments:

    1. That was a surprisingly delicious cake, wasn't it?!? I will definitely be making it again soon. And I might just have to have some leftover Sweet Bordeaux with it. Thanks for the recommendation.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Halva is one of my favorite things! This looks amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    3. That looks decadent and delicious! I've never had halva before. I'll have to fix that.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Well, if I can ever find halva, this one will be made! Yum!

      ReplyDelete
    5. This wine and dessert sound divine - I love how rich and gooey that cake looks!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I agree, this is such a comforting dessert. Super delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Lion de Tanesse L'Amour sounds like it would be amazing with anything but especially this dessert. For something so simple the taste is very high end.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love omelettes for dinner and yours sounds delicious. I know I’ll be making and enjoying it soon!

      ReplyDelete
    9. What gooey wonderfulness. Chocolate is divine with these Sweet Bordeaux wines!

      ReplyDelete
    10. This sounds divine! And love the baking series. What a fun idea!

      ReplyDelete
    11. That cake will make my husband swoon! I think I'll make it for his birthday next month. Thanks for the inspiration!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Yum! My family loves these kinds of desserts. I'll have to try making it -- or get Sue to do it!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Oh wow - I would never have thought of chocolate and halva together! Looks incredible!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So very good Payal. I had never even heard of halva prior to this recipe.

        Delete

    I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.