Saturday, April 26, 2014

Birthday Brunch/Casual Game Night/Weekly Menu

Today is Max's birthday so we surprised him with a Birthday Brunch.  The Awesome Emily Turner and her family joined us along with Dick and Jackie, and our friend, Sandy, who was Max's area coordinator when he lived here as our exchange student.

We had to have brunch because Max and Emily are going to prom tonight.  Stay tuned for photos.



I served Bacon, French Toast Casserole, Scrambled Eggs, Carrot Spice Muffins, Cheesy Potato Casserole, Mini Bagels with Cream Cheese, Melon and of course Birthday Cake made by Frank using his mother's recipe for Buttercream Frosting.


French Toast Casserole is one of my stand by brunch items.  You can make it the day before and just throw it in the oven an hour before you want to eat.  I think this recipe was originally from Pillsbury.  I love those little recipe booklets that you pick up in line at the grocery store.  But it has been so long since I first started making this that I cannot swear that it came from them, it may have come from a magazine or something.


I made a double batch today but I will give you the recipe for a single batch.


It's as easy as can be.
Whisk together the eggs, cream and vanilla.


Cube the bread.
Place it in a buttered casserole.
Pour the custard over it and mix it around so that all pieces of bread soak up the custard.
Cover and place in the refrigerator over night.



French Toast Casserole

1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
4 eggs
1 cup half and half
1 t. vanilla

Cube bread and place in a buttered casserole.  1 loaf of bread will fill an 8x8 casserole.  Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the bread, making sure all the pieces soak up some of the custard.  Cover and Refrigerate overnight.  Bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Print Recipe

I think that almost everyone has their own version of Cheezy Potato Casserole, and their own name for the recipe as well but I thought I would share my version with you.


Another easy recipe that can be made ahead and just thrown in the oven before serving.
I throw everything into the roaster and mix it up so I don't have extra dishes dirtied.
I used whatever cheese I have on hand.  Today I had partial packages of cheddar, mozzarella, 
Swiss and a Mexican blend that I put together to equal 2 cups.



Cheezy Potato Casserole

1 pkg  frozen southern cut potatoes, thawed
1 small onion, diced
1 can cream soup (I used cream of mushroom today)
1 c. sour cream
1 c. half and half
2 c. shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a casserole.  Bake at 350* for 1 hr. or until bubbly and golden on top.



Cake by Frank

Mom Klik's Buttercream Frosting

1 c. butter, room temperature
1 c. crisco, room temperature
2 c. sugar
2 c. milk
2 t. vanilla

Bring milk just to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly stir in sugar until dissolved.  Let chill in refrigerator.

Whip Crisco and Butter together.  Slowly add cold sugar/milk mixture beating continuously.  Add vanilla, continue to beat until light and fluffy.  Print Recipe

The party was a great success.  We have been having a ton of parties lately.  So many that yesterday Mom asked "What time is the party today?" I answered that we were not having a party and she asked why not???


Max and Em getting ready to make their plates.


Happy Birthday Max
May all your wishes come true!!

This evening we are having John and Kirsten and our friends, the Nutters, over for a casual dinner of Sloppy Joes and game night.

Tomorrow we will go out to eat before taking Max to the airport.

Wednesday we are going out to dinner and then to the theatre to see Sister Act.

Friday we will be having another party!!  This one to celebrate Frank's Birthday.

Here is my complete Weekly Menu.  Stop by each day for photos and recipes and join us at Menu Plan Monday for more great menu ideas.

Saturday
Cole Slaw (leftover from Ting's party)
Cheezy Potatoes (left from Brunch)
Melon (left from Brunch)
Brownies (provided by Kirsten)

Sunday
Rib Steaks
Baked Potatoes


Monday
Garlic Bread

Try it Tuesday
Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
Tossed Salad

Wednesday
Out for dinner 

Thursday
Hot Dogs

Friday-Frank's Birthday Celebration
Italian Baked Chicken
Mostaccioli
Green Beans
Brownies
Strawberry Torte

2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.