Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Pickled Rhubarb #NationalPickleMonth

Ok, I know I said no more Rhubarb recipes for a while but I lied.  I had forgotten about the Rhubarb I had pickled in anticipation of joining the Foodie Extravaganza gang in celebrating National Pickle Month.

jar of pickled rhubarb

Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla gets in a pickle when it comes to pickles.  Cam LOVES pickled foods so it was no surprise when she invited us to join her in celebrating National Pickle Month.

Let's take a look at the pickles people are enjoying this month......
pickled rhubarb

I love preserving bounty when it is in season.  Normally, I freeze my excess rhubarb but when Cam reminded us it was #NationalPickleMonth I knew that I wanted to try pickling the rhubarb.  

Pickling is a great way to preserve foods and it is not limited to just cucumbers.  Cucumbers are great when you want to make Dill Pickles, or my Pop's Refrigerator Pickles, or Dill Chips for your sandwiches.  But I also like to Pickle Beets, Beans, Cabbage, Asparagus and Peppers.  

I love making Giardiniera when I have an assortment of vegetables to preserve.  Pickling isn't limited to vegetables though.  You can find a recipe for Pickled Pork Tongue  on my blog as well as Pickled Eggs and Pickled Shrimp.

Pickled rhubarb pin

These are a wonderful addition to a Charcuterie tray when left in spears or they can be diced and added to salads.  



PIckles, Preserving, Rhubarb
Vegetables
American
Yield: 1 pint
Author: Wendy Klik
Pickled Rhubarb

Pickled Rhubarb

Rhubarb spears pickled in vinegar and sugar seasoned with spices are ready for the refrigerator in only 15 minutes and ready to serve the following day.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 5 MinInactive time: 24 HourTotal time: 24 H & 20 M

Ingredients

  • 5-6 stalks rhubarb, cleaned and stripped of stringy skin
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T. kosher salt
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 t. peppercorns
  • 1 small dried chile
  • 1 bay leaf

Instructions

  1. Place water, vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and chile in a small pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer unitl sugar and salt is dissolved.
  2. Meanwhile cut the rhubarb into lengths to fit into the pint jar. 
  3. Ladle the pickling liquid and spices into the jar covering the rhubarb completely, adding more hot water if needed.  
  4. Cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hrs.  Will keep in the refrigerator for at least a month or 6 weeks.  

Nutrition Facts

Calories

366.29

Fat (grams)

0.89

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.21

Carbs (grams)

85.96

Fiber (grams)

6.47

Net carbs

79.49

Sugar (grams)

72.10

Protein (grams)

3.69

Sodium (milligrams)

3807.01

Cholesterol (grams)

0.00

10 comments:

  1. Rhubarb makes such a brief appearance in our area, it's hard to make anything other than pie! But these looks amazing. Thanks for joining the pickle party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have such a bounty of rhubarb. These sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is finally over but I still have some in the freezer for when I am ready for it again....now I'm on to mint recipes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen rhubarb here, but, will try this recipe once I get hold of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not even readily available throughout the states Sneha. It is definitely a midwest thing.

      Delete
  5. If we ever make it back to the UK next summer, I'll be trying this for sure. We love rhubarb in all its guises!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an interesting pickle. Love all your rhubarb recipes and this is another one that I added in my list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.