Thursday, July 1, 2021

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Meatballs, A Book Review and The Weekly Menu

These fun and tasty meatballs, made in the slow cooker, are a perfect appetizer for your summer parties.  You only need 3 ingredients, it can be put into the slow cooker a few hours prior to your gathering and forgotten about until your company arrives.  

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
I was inspired to make these meatballs after reading The Newcomer by Mary Kay Andrews.  I won this fun novel in a drawing over at The Book Club Cookbook.


This is a perfect summer read.  I opened it one afternoon and finished it the following afternoon.  It held my attention and would call me back whenever I had to leave it to do something else.  

Letty finds herself on the run with her 4 year old niece, Maya, after discovering her sister murdered in her apartment.  Letty's sister, Tara, had shared with Letty that Maya's father was a huge threat and that if anything were to happen to Tara, Letty should grab Maya and keep her as far away from her father as possible.  

Tara also shared with Letty a hidden cache of money that she said she had saved when planning her escape from Maya's rich father and his scheming ways.  When Letty leaves she takes this stash with her and discovers a news clipping about a Florida resort.  Not having anywhere else to go and believing her sister left this clipping as a clue, Letty ends up at the Murmuring Surf where she hopes to hide out until she can prove that Maya's father is the person that murdered her sister.

I know that this sounds kind of heavy but it is not a heavy read at all.....there is a lot of humor in the form of different characters that live at the Murmuring Surf.  There is, of course, some romance and enough twists and turns to keep you interested.

Near the end of the novel, the owner of the Murmuring Surf holds a Luau for the guests and one of the dishes she serves up are Hawaiian Meatballs in a Slow Cooker.  I had some frozen chicken meatballs in my freezer, a half bottle of BBQ sauce in the refrigerator and a can of pineapple in the pantry.  

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs


Perfect recipe.....easy, peasy and delicious.  I served them up as part of the appetizer buffet to guests as they arrived for the Teen's 17th birthday celebration last Sunday.   

I am sharing this recipe over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what everyone is reading and eating this month.


appetizers, chicken, meatballs, slow cooker, crockpot, pineapple, barbecue sauce
Appetizers, Main Course
Hawaiian
Yield: 20
Author: Wendy Klik
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs

These Hawaiian Meatballs take only 3 ingredients and 3 hours in the slow cooker to provide you with a sweet and spicy appetizer that your guests will adore. These are also wonderful as a main course served over rice for 8 people or halve the recipe for 4 main course servings.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 2 HourTotal time: 2 H & 5 M

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs (about 50) frozen meatballs (I used chicken)
  • 2 bottles barbecue sauce
  • 2 cans pineapple chunks in natural juice 

Instructions

  1. Place the meatballs into the crock of a slow cooker.  Add the bbq sauce.  Drain one can of pineapple and add to the slow cooker along with the other can and it's juice.  
  2. Cover and cook on high for 2 hrs.  Turn to low until ready to serve at which time you can turn to warm.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at I Love Naptime.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

156.91

Fat (grams)

10.12

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.46

Carbs (grams)

10.51

Fiber (grams)

1.28

Net carbs

9.23

Sugar (grams)

7.74

Protein (grams)

6.68

Sodium (milligrams)

344.49

Cholesterol (grams)

29.94
Created using The Recipes Generator




It is hard to believe that it is already July and the holiday weekend is upon us.  Here is what I am serving up over the holiday and for the rest of the week. I know that July 4th normally calls for All American Hamburgers and Hot Dogs but I am celebrating all week long with recipes that celebrate our "melting pot" heritage.   Happy Independence Day everyone.

Saturday  (Germany)
Beer Brats
German Potato Salad

Sunday-Independence Day (China)
Asian Spiced Ribs with Sour Cherry BBQ Sauce
Asian Noodle Salad

Meatless Monday (France)
Mushroom Bourguignon

Taco Tuesday (Mexico)
Puffy Tacos

Wednesday (Spain)
Spanish Cider Glazed Grilled Chicken
Patatas Bravas

Thursday (Italy)-Friends over for Dinner
Antipasti Platter
Sourdough Focaccia
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

Fish Friday (Japan) 
Smoked Salmon Sushi Bowls





2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I don't often make anything like that though my mom did when I was a kid. I think my boys will love it.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.