Monday, July 5, 2021

Beer Brats inspired by the first Immigrants of 97 Orchard #CooktheBooks

97 Orchard was a housing tenement in New York built by the Glockner family who emigrated to the USA from Germany.  Mr Glockner started the tenement advancing from Tailor to Gentleman. So in honor of the Glockners, who were the first residents of 97 Orchard, I am serving up Brats in Beer. 

Bratwurst cooked in Beer

I am Cooking the Books today with our Cook the Books Club.......

Cook the Books Club logo

I was very excited when I saw that Simona of Briciole had chosen the historical book 97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement.  I love history and my grandmother emigrated from Czechoslovakia to the USA through Ellis Island so I feel a deep connection to the families whose roots also begin there.

97 Orchard Novel

I ordered it up from the library and eagerly sat down to start reading.  The first section told the story of the Glockners from Germany, and it was interesting enough. Then I started reading about the second and third residents of 97 Orchard and it seemed as though the author was unable to gather very much information about them so it was just sections on the foods of their nationality.  Which would be fine, had I not looked forward to having some personal insight into their daily lives, struggles, traditions, etc.

I found the book very dry.....I don't know if it got better with the last two residents because by that point I had set this book aside and picked up another.  Before I knew it the book was due back to the library and I had no desire to renew it.  

Maybe if I had not built up this book in my mind as to what I thought it was going to be I could have enjoyed it more.  I don't know and I will never know.  What I do know is that the Germans who emigrated to the USA brought with them Sausages and Beer.  Now, there is something that I can get excited about!!

Bratwurst in Beer

You parboil the bratwurst in beer flavored with onions, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, salt and freshly ground pepper.

Bratwurst in Beer

Then you transfer the brats to a preheated grill to get that casing that snaps when you bite into it and the lovely grill marks.  The onions continue to cook and caramelize while the brats are on the grill.

caramelized onions

When the brats are done place them in a bun, top with the onions and condiment of choice.  Frank used yellow mustard.  I used a sweet and hot honey mustard.

Beer Brats Pin

This recipe can be multiplied to cook for a crowd.  You can parboil them and then leave them sit, off heat, until your guests arrive and are ready for dinner.  It only takes a few minutes to finish them on the grill and caramelize the onions.  Pop an ice cold German Beer and Guten Appetit!!


Sausages, Grilling, Beer,
Grilling, Entrees, Sausages, Pork
German
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Beer Brats

Beer Brats

German sausages parboiled in beer and finished off on the grill. Topped with beer caramelized onions and mustard and served with a stein of cold beer makes for the perfect summer meal.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 15 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 can beer
  • 2 bratwurst sausages
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 t. garlic powder
  • pinch of salt
  • couple of grinds of fresh peppercorns
  • 2 hoagie rolls

Instructions

  1. Place the onion, beer, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Add the sausages, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove sausages to a grill that has been preheated to medium high and cook until golden brown.  
  3. Continue to cook the onions in the beer mixture, uncovered until beer evaporates and onions caramelize.  
  4. Place the sausage into the rolls and top with the caramelized onions.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

590.00

Fat (grams)

38.67

Sat. Fat (grams)

13.06

Carbs (grams)

26.27

Fiber (grams)

1.68

Net carbs

24.59

Sugar (grams)

3.03

Protein (grams)

21.80

Sodium (milligrams)

1336.07

Cholesterol (grams)

92.46
Created using The Recipes Generator

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found inspiration from the book even though you didn't have the desire to finish it! These look delicious. I can't wait to try this recipe, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good and you can boil the brats and then leave them soaking in the beer until ready to grill them if you are having company and want to get that out of the way.

      Delete
  2. My culinary reading group read that book a few years ago, and we all completely agreed that it didn't deliver 10% of what it promised! Total disappointment! You are SO right. I hope the brats consoled you.

    Good luck with future selections.
    best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe for the Fourth. I hope you had them then. Love that you grilled them as well. I haven't started the book yet....I hope I can get through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my expectations were too high Debra. I just wish it had more of a story line to it. We did have the brats over the holiday weekend.

      Delete
  4. I sort of looked at it as cultural history, not the particular people in the sampling. Your brats sound fabulous cooked like that and I've got it on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe brought me back to my last visit to Germany, many years ago now. We had breakfast at the home of some friends and it featured a number of different bratwurst. I like the idea of adding your own favorite condiment. Thank you so much for contributing to this edition of Cook the Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brats look delicious!

    I was hoping for more family life and details too and was a little let down about the lack of that aspect but I ended up still finding the food history interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I just built up my expectations a little too high.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.