Monday, July 12, 2021

Sourdough Pizza "Baked" on a Grill #BakingBloggers

Summertime Grilling doesn't have to mean hamburgers and hot dogs.  Or ribs, steaks and chicken for that matter.  Sometimes Summertime grilling can be meatless and pizza!!!  These delicious personal size pizzas start with sourdough pizza dough and can be topped with anything your little heart desires.

Pizza with Tomatoes and Basil

I chose tomatoes and basil as my toppings since that was the theme of this month's Baking Bloggers.....

Sue of Palatable Pastime invites us to bake with her on the second Monday of each month.  She has a poll prior to each month with several themes offered for the next baking challenge.  This month she offered the winner, Fresh Tomatoes and Basil and some other choices, one of which was Pizza on the Grill.  That is the one I voted for....I lost.  

I'm not one to take my toys and go home when things aren't going my way...BUT...I do like winning and have been known to twist games so that they go my way.  I don't cheat, mind you, but I do improvise and that is exactly what I did with this month's challenge.  The result?  Pizza on the Grill topped with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil.  Perfect!!

Let's see what the others have baked up with Tomatoes and Basil.......

#BakingBloggers

Tomatoes and Fresh Basil


Pizza dough and assorted toppings

I was having my daughter and granddaughter over for lunch and a dip in the pool so when I got up in the morning I put together the sourdough pizza crust and left it to rise.  About half an hour before we wanted to eat, I punched down the dough, separated it into 6 pieces that I shaped into balls and then covered and let rise a second time while preparing the toppings.

pizzas on grill

Mama and Angel Face got hungry first and wandered in to make their pizzas.  Just cheese and sauce for the Angel Face.  Jessica went easy on the cheese and added pepperoni, peppers and basil to hers.

pizza with tomatoes and basil on the grill

And then, of course, mine was simple, elegant and delicious, using fresh campari tomato slices and basil from my garden.  It was a great lunch and barely took any time at all away from our playtime in the pool.

I love making these individual pizza bars when having casual get togethers with friends.  Everything can be made ahead of time and it is fun for your guests to shape the dough and add their toppings making it just the way the want it.  Less than 10 minutes on a grill preheated to high with the lid closed and you have perfectly baked pizza ready to serve.




Pizza, Grilling, Meatless, Vegetarian, Tomatoes, Basil, Cheese
Entrees, Grilling
Italian
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Sourdough Pizza on the Grill

Sourdough Pizza on the Grill

This pizza with crust made from sourdough discard makes enough for 6 individual pizzas that can be topped with all your favorite fixings and then baked on a grill for a fun treat without heating up the house.
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 10 MinInactive time: 4 H & 15 MTotal time: 4 H & 45 M

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe Sourdough Pizza Crust
  • 1 c. pizza sauce
  • 2 c. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • Assorted toppings of choice, I used fresh tomatoes and basil

Instructions

  1. Make your pizza dough and let set through first rise.  Punch down the dough and divide it into 6 equal portions.  Form each portion into a ball and place onto a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment.  Cover with a piece of plastic wrap that has been sprayed with olive oil and let rest on the counter until ready to bake, at least 15 minutes.
  2. Form the dough into 6" rounds and place onto individual sheets of parchment.  Add desired amount of sauce and cheese and then any additional toppings that you wish.
  3. Preheat a gas grill to high, about 475*.  Slide the pizzas from the parchment, directly onto the grill grates, close the lid and bake for 7-10 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.  

Notes:

Any pizza dough can be used for this recipe.


Nutrition Facts

Calories

377.85

Fat (grams)

11.52

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.25

Carbs (grams)

53.13

Fiber (grams)

3.00

Net carbs

50.13

Sugar (grams)

4.09

Protein (grams)

14.80

Sodium (milligrams)

803.11

Cholesterol (grams)

18.63

5 comments:

  1. Alright, so now I'm totally going to have to make homemade sauce this week...just so that we can have grilled pizza. You have given me the grilled pizza craving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pizza sounds great and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to do it directly one the grill! Your pizzas are gorgeous. I love Campari tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you stayed to play, Wendy. Your personal pizzas look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.