Thursday, July 22, 2021

Cider Glazed Rotisserie Chicken and a Sampling of Hard Ciders #WorldWineTravel

I was fortunate enough to recieve some samples of hard cider from across the pond courtesy of Winesellers, Ltd.  These samples were provided for tasting purposes only.  I received no monetary compensation for this post.  All opinions are strictly my own.

4 bottles of cider

Welcome to World Wine Travel..................
Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla is hosting today.  While this group is all about wine we are taking a journey into hard ciders today.  After all, fruit being fermented and turning hard is what wine is all about.  

Bottle of hard cider


I was very excited when Cam announced this theme and that she had procured a sponsor for samples.  I was even more excited when those samples arrived.  Today I am sharing thoughts on 3 of these 4 bottles of cider with you. 

I will also be joining with others on Saturday, July 24th at 11 AM ET, for twitter chat.  We would love for you to join us and share your ideas about hard cider.  I know that my homestate of Michigan makes wonderful hard ciders and I'm anxious to hear about the ciders where you live.  You will find us by following #WorldWineTravel.  Here are the topics that we will be discussing........

hard cider

I knew that I wanted to use the cider in my recipe as well as pairing it with the recipe.  I decided to make a rotisserie chicken on the grill.  I opened the bottle of Mayador Sparkling Cider.  I must confess that I was in the middle of getting dinner ready and didn't take the time to even have a sip before I poured half of the bottle into a chafing pan with carrots and onions to put underneat the chicken while it turned on the rotisserie.  This not only flavors the chicken but it catches the juices that the chicken releases.

rotisserie chicken

The other half of the bottle went into a saucepan, was brought to a boil and then the heat was reduced allowing the cider to simmer into a glaze.  When I walked back into my house to check on the glaze I was astounded at the strong floral scent that was in the air.  

Mayador was founded in 1939 by Manuel Busto Amandi and marketed under the name M. Busto.  They have since expanded to include sparkling cider, natural cider, hard cider, vinegar and sparkling juice.  They recently began offering certified organic products.  Mayador is available throughout the world.

rotisserie chicken

My chicken was incredibly tender, juicy and delicious.  The skin was crisp, browned and irresistible. I know eating the skin of chicken is frowned upon in this day and age but I certainly cannot resist the skin of a perfectly roasted bird.  How tender was this chicken? Well, when I untied the legs one of them came right off.

dinner plate with cider


I opened the bottle of Natural Cider by Mayador and a bottle of Black Fox Organic Cider from Dunkertons in the UK to pair with this dinner.  

Dunkertons was founded in 1990 by Susie and Ivor Dunkerton who wanted to make ciders organically without using any concentrate or chemicals.  This bottle of Black Fox was slightly sweeter than the Natural Cider by Mayador which was bone dry.  

I expected the Mayador natural cider to be more floral since the sparkling made my house smell like I walked into a florist, but it wasn't.  It was tart and crisp and more citrus flavored than apple flavored.  The lees floated in the bottle but it wasn't yeasty at all. Between the two choices, Frank preferred this bottle.

The Dunkerton Black Fox was a little sweeter and it was with this cider that I tasted a strong floral finish.  It was not sweet like a fresh apple cider.  Just a slight hint of sweet that helped round out the flavor of the cider.  This was my favorite of the two bottles.  

Our daughter Jessica and her family joined us for this dinner.  Her guy, Julien, joined Frank in drinking the Mayador.  This left the Black Fox just for me which suited me just fine.  Both of these bottles paired very nicely with the dinner I served and were very enjoyable just on their own as well.


Grilling, Rotisserie, Entrees, Chicken, Cider, Glazed
Entrees, Chicken
American
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Cider glazed Rotisserie Chicken

Cider glazed Rotisserie Chicken

Plump, juicy chicken cooked slowly on a rotisserie and glazed with reduced hard cider.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 2 H & 30 MTotal time: 2 H & 40 M

Ingredients

  • 1 roasting chicken (about 5 lbs)
  • 1 carrot, scrubbed and halved
  • 1 onion, halved
  • 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 bottle sparkling apple cider

Instructions

  1. Wash and pat dry the chicken.  Season liberally with salt and pepper, both inside the cavity and on the outside.
  2. Place half a carrot and half an onion inside the cavity.  Squeeze the juice of  half a lemon into the cavity and then add the lemon to the inside with the vegetables.
  3. Place chicken onto a gas grill rotisserie per manufacturer's directions.  Set aside.
  4. Pour half the bottle of hard cider into a disposable half chafing pan along with the second half of carrot and onion.  Place this chafing pan on the grill so that it will be underneath the chicken when the rotisserie is in place. 
  5. Pour the remaining cider into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about half an hour, until reduced to a glaze.
  6. Place the rotisserie, containing the chicken, onto the grill and cook over medium high heat for about 20-30 minutes a pound or until an internal temperature of 165* is reached.  Baste the chicken occasionally with the cider and juices from the chafing pan.  During the last 20 minutes of cooking, baste the chicken with the glaze.
  7. Remove chicken from rotisserie to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil.  Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving into serving size pieces.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

268.94

Fat (grams)

13.67

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.80

Carbs (grams)

7.57

Fiber (grams)

0.74

Net carbs

6.83

Sugar (grams)

5.16

Protein (grams)

27.60

Sodium (milligrams)

137.69

Cholesterol (grams)

87.71

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the Dunkerton's was your favorite. I have yet to pour that one. Maybe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't surprise me that the Mayador was tarter and crisper, coming from Asturias. You shared they both were strongly floral. Think you'd be able to distinguish them if smelling blind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pick up the floral notes on the Mayador until it was heated. The Brown Fox didn't smell as floral as it tasted.

      Delete
  3. I wish you had been able to grab a sip of the Espumante! I found it delicious and I bet you would have enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to open the Dunkerton's with a ploughman's lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your choice to use one of the ciders to make your chicken. It looks and sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to pull the meat off with my fingers, it looks that good. I liked the ciders, but I plan to try them in the fall. I have a feeling I am going to like them even more then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea to make a glaze with this cider. And I am with you on chicken skin. It needs to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chicken looks insanely good! Great idea for how to incorporate the cider into the cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.