Saturday, July 17, 2021

Leftover Chili Burritos #SoupSaturdaySwappers

I often make dinners with leftovers in mind, especially now that my family has shrunk but I still cook for an army.  One of those planned leftovers that I make quite often is Leftover Chili Burritos.  It is a family favorite here and it is sure to become a favorite at your house as well.

Chili Burrito

The Soup Saturday Swappers are repurposing leftover soup today......

My friend Sue of Palatable Pastime is hosting this month and challenged us to share a recipe using leftover soup saying: 

"Let's grab that tub of freezer stash soup (or stew or chili) we made on that chilly day and use it in something suitable for hot weather. Put that creamy soup in pasta sauce, stir that chili into noodles, top that stew with mashed potatoes as a cottage pie, fill pastry dough with a thick stew for an interesting meat pie, or any clever reimagining you can devise. It's your chopped basket."

I misunderstood at first and put down that I was making a Leftover Cheeseburger Soup.  Then Sue corrected me and advised that we were not making soup from leftovers but rather making a second meal out of leftover soup. Mea Culpa......

Let's see what creative ways the others have found to use there extra soup.......

  • Burritos pin

    So I decided to remake a recipe that I shared with you in 2013 when I was a brand spanking new blogger.  If you would like a chuckle you can go look at that post titled Planned Leftovers.  In that first post, as in this one, I linked back to my go to Chili recipe.  I make a lot of different kinds of chilis and they are all good but this one remains my families favorite.  You can make these burritos with this recipe or your favorite recipe.  It's all good.

    I have a cute story to relate about this batch of burritos that we enjoyed for dinner one night.  The next day my brother, Dick and his wife, Jackie stopped by with their grandson, Carter, to visit and take a dip in the pool.  After a couple of hours, Carter announced he was hungry.   I asked if they wanted me to throw some burgers on the grill for an early dinner but Jackie said no, that she had dinner fixings out and planned.

    I asked Carter if he wanted a leftover burrito and he said yes.  I heated it up in the microwave and brought it out to him.  He dug in and said "Wow, this is good!"  My brother asked for a bite and Carter said "Aunt Wendy asked if you wanted one and you said no".  My brother said "Fine, I'm going to eat some of these chips and dip that Aunt Wendy put out and you can't have any".  Carter, smirked, cut a piece of his burrito, held it up and said....."Look at all that melty cheese and all these layers of meat and beans" then he proceeded to put the bite into his mouth groaning and moaning about how good it was.  

    We were cracking up!!  All kidding aside, these burritos are a great way to use up any leftover chili that you have in the house.  Whenever I make chili I am sure to double the batch so that these burritos can be on the menu that week.  Enjoy.......


    Leftovers, Burritos, Entrees, Mexican, Chili, Cheese, Onepanmeals
    Entrees, Beef
    Mexican
    Yield: 6 servings
    Author: Wendy Klik
    Leftover Chili Burritos

    Leftover Chili Burritos

    Turn your leftover chili into a second dinner with these delicious, wet burritos.
    Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 40 Min

    Ingredients

    • 3 c. leftover chili ( I use this recipe)
    • 6 burrito size flour tacos
    • 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese
    • Desired garnishes, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

    Instructions

    1. Place a 1/4 c. chili inside each flour tortilla, sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of cheese.  Fold up as you would an envelope and lay seam side down in a 9x13" baking pan that has been treated with cooking spray.
    2. Top with remaining chili and cheese and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25-30 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted. 
    3. Serve with desired garnishes.

    Nutrition Facts

    Calories

    837.76

    Fat (grams)

    38.57

    Sat. Fat (grams)

    16.70

    Carbs (grams)

    85.46

    Fiber (grams)

    11.46

    Net carbs

    74.01

    Sugar (grams)

    7.98

    Protein (grams)

    39.01

    Sodium (milligrams)

    1826.05

    Cholesterol (grams)

    95.02

6 comments:

  1. Very cute story! Those burritos sound easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these burritos. You have made an amazing one with leftovers. Love your story too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm! These are perfect - I have done that a time or two into an enchilada filling. Comfort food all the way. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.