Saturday, May 6, 2017

Pickled Shrimp to Celebrate the Kentucky Derby #DerbyDayRecipes

Are you a Kentucky Derby fan?  All that I know about horse racing I have learned through movies. But I do love any excuse for a party so when Ellen, of Family Around the Table. suggested we get together to share Derby Day recipes;

"It’s said that in Louisville, Kentucky for 6 months leading up to the Kentucky Derby, that all conversation revolves around Derby Day. My blogger colleagues and I share some derby inspired foods. Is your hat ready?"
I was happy to jump right into the festivities and give Ellen my RSVP that I would attend this fun party.

Then I had to do a google search for recipes that are traditional for the Kentucky Derby. What I found is that any Southern Dish will do....think biscuits, pecan pie, hot browns.  Also if it contains Bourbon, you are good to go. Ditto for anything Julep.  One recipe caught my eye though. I had never heard of it before I started this search but it showed up a lot.



Pickled Shrimp.

There are a lot of recipes out there for Pickled Shrimp.  How is it that I had never even heard of Pickled Shrimp before now??



The one I finally chose to adapt as my own was this recipe from Bon Appetit.  I liked it because it contains fennel which I love and I also liked that it was ready in less than an hour but could be refrigerated and served up to two days later.

I didn't serve this at a Derby Day Party but I did take it to a Birthday Potluck where it was gobbled up in no time flat.



Perfect Recipe.....easy, peasy and delicious!!!  Enjoy while you watch the Run for the Roses....hope your horse wins by a nose.

Quick Pickled Shrimp
adapted from Bon Appetit

2 lbs. large cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined with tails left intact
1 medium fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
1 c. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. good olive oil
1/4 c. chopped fennel fronds
salt and pepper to taste

Combine shrimp, fennel, onion, garlic and jalapeno in a large bowl.  Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, fennel, salt and pepper.  Pour over shrimp mixture and toss to coat.  Cover and chill, tossing occasionally for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.  Print Recipe

Delicious Derby Day Delectables

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've had pickled shrimp. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either and we loved it. Let me know what you think if you try it.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.