Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake #NationalBlueberryMonth

Did you know that, among many other things like ice cream and hot dogs, July is also National Blueberry Month?  It's true.  It is.

Image may contain: fruit and food
Image from Google


I decided that we shouldn't let the month go by without acknowledging this little blue darling that is not only amazingly tasty but packs a nutritional powerhouse as well.

I invited members of my Festive Foodies group to join me in sharing blueberry recipes today.  You will find links to all of their posts included in mine.  I can't wait to see what they are all sharing.

I have so many blueberry memories.  My Grandma made a kick butt blueberry pie and allowed me to have it for breakfast when I would stay with her.  Grandma loved pie for breakfast.

We also went up to the Upper Peninsula each summer to spend time with my Pops best friend and his family.  We would go out and pick wild blueberries and then be served blueberry muffins with our bounty. That which didn't end up in our bellies while picking, that is.

Having volunteered to host this event, I then had the dilemma of sharing a new blueberry recipe.  I have already shared:

I noticed that, other than a coffee cake, I had never shared a blueberry cake with you.  I was going to make a blueberry upside down cake but then I came across this recipe by Ina Garten and thought it sounded amazing. I have always had good luck with Ina's recipes and this one was no exception.


The only adaptations I made to the recipe were to use an 8" square pan instead of a round pan and omit the powdered sugar sprinkling at the end.


I brought it to a family gathering hosted by my niece, Stephanie.  It was a huge hit and I was proud to say that it was mine.


Here is Ina's recipe with my small adaptations.  Underneath you will find links to all the great recipes being shared today.  Happy National Blueberry Month.

Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake
slightly adapted from Ina Garten

Streusel

1/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 stick butter, melted
1 1 /3 c. flour

Combine the sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the butter.  Mix in the flour.  Set aside.

Cake

6 T. butter, room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
zest of 1 small lemon
2/3 c. sour cream
1 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
large pinch of salt
1 c. fresh blueberries

Place the butter and sugar in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, beating after each.  Mix in the vanilla, lemon zest and sour cream.  Reduce speed to low and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Fold in the blueberries by hand.

Pour batter into an 8" square pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Sprinkle the reserved streusel over the batter and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 40-50 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares and serving. Print Recipe

Beautiful Blueberry Recipes

7 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous, Wendy. Thanks for hosting and getting us to celebrate the wonderful, delicious, and nutritious blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinning this to make soon. Looks so yummy. Maybe for a back to school breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love struesel cakes! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely divine, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.