Friday, July 28, 2017

Fajita Burgers #HamburgerDay

We have been celebrating National Hot Dog month and last Sunday I shared a Copy-cat Detroit Coney Dog with you.  What goes best with Hot Dogs?  Hamburgers, of course.

I'm evidently not the only person who believes this since today, right smack dab in the middle of Hot Dog month, is National Hamburger Day.  So grab your burgers and your dogs and let's head out to the grill.  We have tons of recipes and you are sure to find the perfect fit for all your family and friends.


This party is being hosted by Heather of  Hezzi D's Books and Cooks.  Thanks, Heather, for such a fun theme.

I got the idea for this burger while perusing an old issue of Cuisine at Home.  They listed spices that you could add to your burgers but I had this Fajita Seasoning in my cupboard so I just used that to flavor my burger.


I also took their idea for a sauce made from salsa and sour cream and made it my own.  I wanted a little bit thicker consistency so I added some mayo to the mixture as well.


I always have cheese on my fajitas and I wanted my burgers to reflect that so I added a slice of Monterey Jack and kicked myself for not making it Pepper Jack.  I grilled up an assortment of sweet peppers with some red onions and passed some of the Avocado Dip that I shared with you here.


Cuisine at Home recommended cooking these to well done (ugh).  I don't do my beef well done and I get my beef from a local farmer so I know that even ground beef is perfectly safe to eat at a lovely medium rare.


Please make sure you stop by and visit all the other wonderful burgers being shared today.  You will be very happy that you did.

Fajita Burgers
inspired by Cuisine at Home, Issue #94

2 lbs. ground chuck
2 T. fajita seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
6 slices cheese of choice, if desired
1/4 c. salsa of choice
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. mayonnaise
2 t. lime juice
1 red onion, peeled and sliced
2 sweet peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
1 T. olive oil
Avocado Dip or Guacamole (if desired)

Add the fajita seasoning, salt and pepper to the ground chuck and, using clean hands, incorporate the spices into the meat.  Divide into 6 patties.  

Combine the salsa, sour cream, mayo and lime juice.  Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Toss the onion and pepper slices in olive oil, salt and pepper.  Place into a grill pan and cook over med high heat, tossing occasionally until tender and slightly charred in spots. Set aside.

Grill the burgers over med high to desired temperature, topping with cheese, if desired.  Place onto hamburger buns and serve with the salsa dressing, grilled veggies and avocado dip or guacamole. Print Recipe

More Heavenly Hamburgers

16 comments:

  1. I am a well-done kind of gal but I would still love this burger!! I love these flavors and in a burger it is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Combining two of my favorites...burgers and fajitas! These look super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great spin on a burger! I like mine medium, but that's progress after growing up in a house where everything was cooked well, well, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sauce. And, I love a burger that you almost have to eat with a fork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I have to try these. We haven't cooked a single thing on the grill this summer. Can you believe that?? Justin makes the best cream cheese hamburgers. And I know he would love this recipe. Have a wonderful weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of cream cheese hamburgers. I am intrigued.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the sound of that salsa dressing! Sour cream is basically my favorite condiment, so the combination is basically heaven to me. I'm with you on not having a well done burger. Medium here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those toppings Wendy - and that sauce looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever Wendy! This burger sounds amazing. I love how you incorporated so many of the elements of fajitas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the flavors you have in this burger! I've been craving Mexican food and your recipe is going to find it's way into our menu soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.