Thursday, July 20, 2017

Avocado Dip #CrazyIngredientChallenge #BacktoSchoolRecipes

Hi everyone and welcome to the July version of Crazy Ingredient Challenge.  The fun little game we play where we vote on items from two lists and the top vote from each list are united to become our Crazy Ingredients.


This month's ingredients are Avocados and Cumin.  The largest challenge was to try to narrow it down to just one recipe that I wanted to share.  I thought about making a creamy chilled avocado soup.  Cumin would be the perfect spice with which to flavor it.  I thought about making a warm cheesy casserole incorporating cumin and topping it with guacamole.....YUM.  Avocados are always great in smoothies and it would be very simple to add flavor with some toasted cumin.  I even considered an Avocado Cumin Ice Cream.  After all, it is National Ice Cream month.



In the end, my choice was made due to another event in which I'm participating.  I have been posting Back to School Recipes all week long along with a group of like-minded friends under the direction of Cynthia of Feeding Big.

I went on a S'Mores tangent and shared all things S'Mores for the past 3 days.  I turned S'Mores into Clusters, Cookies and Ice Cream......there's that National Ice Cream Month again......

When I shared the very first post I mentioned that when my kids were young I found making lunches exciting every day very challenging.  I often fell back on the old stand-bys, sandwiches, a piece of fruit and cookies.  Once in a while I would change things up with cheese and crackers, hard boiled eggs, and some carrot and celery sticks.



It was with this in mind that I made up this creamy and healthy avocado dip that my kids would have loved to find in their lunchboxes along with those fresh veggies.  I found this recipe from Cooking Light and adapted it slightly to fit our tastes and what I had in the refrigerator.


Please make sure to scroll past my recipe to find links to all the other Avocado and Cumin creations and all the inspirational Back to School recipes.


Avocado Dip
adapted from Cooking Light

2 (5 oz) containers plain Greek yogurt
2 lg. avocados, peeled and pitted, cut into chunks
1 T. low fat milk
2 T. cilantro paste
1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded
1 lime, peeled (or juice of one lime)
1 T. cumin
pinch of salt
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced

Place the yogurt, avocados,milk, cilantro, jalapeno, lime, cumin, salt and garlic in a heavy duty blender. Puree until smooth. Serve with fresh vegetables.  Also delicious with chips and as a topping for burgers or grilled meats.  Print Recipe

More Avocado and Cumin Creations





More Back to School Recipes

8 comments:

  1. I bet this dip is fantastic. I love avocado and am always looking for ways to use them up. They taste so good and are so good for you!. I am really happy that you used greek yogurt in this recipe, we are cleaning up the way we eat and you have some great, healthy ingredients in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this dip is perfect....healthy without anyone realizing it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this recipe, Wendy. I can't wait to try it. It's still avocado season here in California. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great snack for school too. I love how healthy it is! Thanks for sharing, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made something similar yesterday just playing around with some almost too ripe avocado. So so good! Next time I'll add yogurt like you did here.
    Thanks for always participating, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.