Monday, February 27, 2017

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins #MuffinMonday

Happy Monday all.  As you are reading this, I am in the Caribbean enjoying some sunshine, blue skies and tropical breezes.  I wasn't going to partake in this month's Muffin Monday event but before I left I was trying to clean out my refrigerator and had some buttermilk and a carton of blueberries that weren't going to last until I got home.


I decided that since I needed to use these items, I may as well make muffins....so here I am...well, virtually anyway.  


I found a recipe using these ingredients from Ina Garten, who is one of my favorite chefs, on the Food Network website.  I halved the recipe to make 12 muffins instead of 20.  It is a quick and easy recipe and the muffins were light, moist and delicious.  We had them for breakfast all week prior to leaving for our trip.


I know I say this each and every month but I love having muffins around the house.  They are perfect for a quick breakfast on the go, a wonderful snack and a great dessert.  They take less than an hour to go from mixing ingredients to removing them from the cooling rack to serving dish and the rewards last all week long.  


Make sure you scroll past my recipe to see what the others in the group are sharing with us today. Have a wonderful week!

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
adapted from Ina Garten

1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. buttermilk
4 T. butter, melted
1 t. lemon zest
1 egg, beaten
1 c. fresh blueberries

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Whisk together the buttermilk butter, lemon zest and eggs in a small bowl.

Make a well in the dry ingredients.  Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well and mix just until blended.  Fold in the blueberries.  

Divide the batter between 12 muffin tins that have been treated liberally with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

Enjoy More Muffins



#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made these for Muffin Monday, Wendy! It would have been a terrible shame to have the blueberries and buttermilk go to waste when they make such beautiful muffins. Hope you are having a fabulous vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stacy. I've got Bali on my bucket list. Your photos were wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Go ahead, rub it in! I'm so jealous! I do agree with you about muffins though! And I love Ina Garten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never appreciated the ease of muffins until I started doing Muffin Mondays. Lovely muffins, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. They are easy and wonderful to have on hand.

      Delete
  4. Simple muffins that would be a hit in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh very nice. before reading I saw the images, i desperatly want to want to eat this. I will try this at home. keep sharing this type of sharing.
    How to make Buttermilk

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.