Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Blueberry Slab Pie for #FoodieExtravaganza

Foodie Extravaganza badge (1)Welcome again to Foodie Extravaganza. The fun little group to which I belong where we celebrate a food holiday each month.  We get our ideas from The Nibble and take turns choosing a theme and hosting the party.

This month Laura of Baking in Pyjamas is hosting with the theme Midsummer. The challenge was to create a dessert of your choice which is Midsummer Eve themed, think any kind of summer fruit or an interpretation of what Midsummer means to you. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month.


The timing for this party was perfect for me.  We had been invited to my husband's sister's for a BBQ over Memorial Day Weekend and as soon as I saw the theme was summer desserts I knew I wanted to make a slab pie to take to her gathering.

This slab pie is very easy to put together, travels well and was a huge hit with all the guests.  I chose to make blueberry since we are celebrating Midsummer and blueberries always remind me of vacationing up north as a child and going blueberry picking.  It was hot miserable work and the mosquitos were fierce and as big as birds but it was worth it when our reward was fresh baked pies, muffins and pancakes.

I didn't go blueberry picking for this recipe unless you count picking them up at the grocers but the pie was wonderful none the less and brought back happy food memories which are always the best.


  1. I used 3 lbs (6 c) of blueberries in this pie.  Added sugar, cinnamon and some lemon zest and let them sit while I prepared the crust.
  2. You need enough crust for 2 two crust pies (4 crusts) if using a 15x10x1" pan.  Roll out two portions of the crust for the bottom and line the pan.  Don't trim it yet but pour your blueberries evenly onto the bottom crust.
  3. Roll out the remaining 2 portions of crusts and lay over the top of the berries.  Trim lightly if needed before crimping the edges to seal.  
  4. Brush with a beaten egg, sprinkle with some more sugar and bake.



Blueberry Slab Pie
adapted from Pillsbury

Dough for 4 pie crusts
6 c. blueberries
1/2 c. sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 t. cinnamon
1 egg beaten
extra sugar for sprinkling

Combine blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon in a bowl and toss to coat.  Set aside.  Take portion of dough to equal 2 pie crusts and roll into a 12x17" rectangle. Lay into a 10x15x1" pan, molding to fit bottom and sides and allowing the extra to hang evenly over the edges.  Pour the blueberries evenly over the bottom crust.  Roll out the remaining 2 crust portion into an 11x16" rectangle.  Lay over the blueberries.  Trim as necessary leaving enough crust to crimp the bottom and top together.  Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with additional sugar.  Cut vent holes into the top crust with a sharp knife.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 35-40 minutes.  Print Recipe

More Midsummer Desserts for you to Enjoy

 If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

17 comments:

  1. I had no idea what a slab pie was. This looks fantastic! We have a blueberry picking event at our CSA farm this weekend. Not sure we can swing it this time around though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Wendy. This looks so inviting. I am envious of your guests. I wish we would get fresh Blueberries here too. Sigh! <3 Thanks for sharing. Love the cinnamon addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! We're all about blueberries in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across slab pie the other day- I love blueberries so sure this is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an introduction to slab pie for me! And I must say it looks wonderful. I don't think I have ever eaten Blueberry Pie. I do love blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have never had blueberry pie?!! You need to rectify that. It is one of my favorites. My grandma made the best blueberry pies and she would let me eat pie for breakfast when I stayed with her.

      Delete
  6. This pie sounds divine, I've not eaten or baked many pies but I can imagine this one is delicious. Thanks for joining in this month and for sharing your childhood blueberry memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy peasy Laura and you will impress all of your friends who don't realize it.

      Delete
  7. I love slab pies so much - I bought a jelly roll pan last year specifically for a slab pie recipe and it was one of my favorite pies I've made (and I love that pan)! :) This pie sounds FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pie looks so delicious and more so since I love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.