Tuesday, July 18, 2017

S'Mores Thumbprint Cookies #BacktoSchoolRecipes

Today is the second day that I am sharing Back to School Recipes at the invitation of my friend, Cynthia, who blogs over at Feeding Big.

I already went through all of the feelings I have about this event in my post yesterday where I shared a recipe for S'Mores Clusters.  I also told you that I was sharing another S'Mores recipe today because while thoughts of Fall may have parents thinking about school days it has me thinking about bonfires.  Bonfires equal S'Mores.  S'Mores equal great Back to School treats.


I found this recipe from Betty Crocker.  I loved the fact that they used graham cracker crumbs in the cookie batter.  I loved that the marshmallows and chocolate were not incorporated into the cookies but rather placed on top.  What I didn't love was that the marshmallows were simply melted and not toasted.  In my mind.....S'Mores need toasted marshmallows....so I adapted this recipe and placed the cookies under the broiler for a couple of minutes.


Immediately after pulling them from the broiler, I topped each cookie with a piece of chocolate. After a couple of minutes I could run a knife over them and spread the chocolate to cover the marshmallows.


These cookies are absolutely amazing.  You can enjoy S'Mores all year long, even if you live in the city and never have the opportunity to sit around a campfire toasting marshmallows.  


These are the perfect addition to a lunchbox and also make a wonderful after school snack to provide a boost of energy while doing homework.

S'Mores Thumbprint Cookies
Adapted from Betty Crocker

1 c. butter, room temperature
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 c. flour
16 graham cracker squares (8 full sheets), pureed into fine crumbs
dash of salt
72 miniature marshmallows
36 rectangles of milk chocolate from 3 full size bars

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.  Mix in the flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt at low speed until a stiff dough is formed.  Using a small cookie scoop, shape dough into 36 balls and place onto ungreased cookies sheets, spacing about 2" apart.  Using your thumb, make indentations in the center of each cookie.  Bake in a preheated 325* oven for 10 minutes.  

Remove from oven and place 2 marshmallows in the indentation of each cookie and place under the broiler for 2 minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted.  Remove from oven and top each cookie immediately with a rectangle of chocolate.  Let sit for a minute or two then lightly run a knife over the chocolate spreading it over the marshmallows. Print Recipe

More Back to School Recipes

4 comments:

  1. I love these cookies! You are making S'mores even more fun than they already are. What a great treat to find in a child's lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia....these cookies were even better than S'Mores imho.

      Delete
  2. Those look like so much fun! After a 10 day camping trip, though, I think I've had my fill of s'mores for at least three months. Just in time for our Halloween camping trip. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.