Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Cherry Cheese Braid #BreadBakers

This month's Bread Bakers is being brought to you by Gayathri of Gayathri's Cook Spot.  Gayathri invited us all to share a Braided Bread saying

"This month is all about creative braiding of breads. From the basic two stranded twists to complicated 12 stranded braid, attempt any bread around the world either with a filling or without, studded with nuts and dried fruits or plain. Create an art with your bread dough this month."
I decided to make mine with a filling.  Sour Cherry and Cheese filling to be  exact.  Our daughter's cherry tree is very prolific and she sent me two gallon size bags filled to the hilt with cherries.  This was the perfect opportunity to use some of them that I had left after making this Sour Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream.


I do have to confess that this is more of a lattice than a braid but cut me some slack please......I really needed to use up some of these cherries.


It looks pretty much like a braid but easier to work with when you have a wonderful, juicy cherry pie filling inside.  This recipe was adapted from one I found at the Red Star Yeast website.  I, of course, made my own cherry pie filling in this recipe but you could also buy cherry pie filling as in their recipe.


It baked up beautifully.....golden brown with the filling oozing out around the edges a bit.  I could hardly wait to dig in.


I forced myself to wait until it cooled and I was able to add the icing.  Coffee Cake isn't coffee cake without icing.


It was amazing.  The dough was light and flaky and the inside was layers of sweet creamy cheese filling complemented by the tart, bright taste of the cherries.  This bread is definitely being made again next year when I get my gift of cherries from Nicole and Pierre.


I personally can't wait to scroll past this recipe, as amazing as it is, and see what the others have baked up for us today.

Cherry Cheese Braid
adapted from Red Star Yeast

4 c. tart cherries, pitted
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 t. almond extract

1/4 c. water
1/2 c. sour cream
3 T. butter
2 eggs
1 t. almond extract
3 c. bread flour
1 1/2 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1 pkg. (2 1/4 t.) yeast

6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg
1 T. sugar
dash of salt

1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
2-3 T. water


Combine the cherries, 1 c. sugar,  cornstarch and 1 t. almond extract in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil, cook and stir until sugar is melted and sauce is clear and thickened into a gel.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.

Combine  yeast,  1 c. flour, 1 1/2 t. salt, and 3 T. sugar in the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook attachment.  Place the water, sour cream, and butter in a 2 c. glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, until butter melts and it reaches a temperature of 120*-130*.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix for 2-3 minutes on med speed.  Add the eggs and 1 t. almond extract and beat for another minute or so.  Begin adding the remaining flour 1/2 c. at a time until incorporated.  Knead for 5-7 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.  Remove dough from bowl and shape into a ball.  Spray the bowl with cooking spray, return the dough ball, turning to coat with the spray.  Cover and let rise for 30-40 minutes, until doubled in size.

Combine the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.

When dough is ready, punch down and divide in half.  Place each half onto parchment or a silicone mat and roll into two 12x17" rectangles.  Spread half the cheese mixture over the middle third of each rectangle, leaving an inch or two at each short end.  Cover the cheese with half of the cherry mixture for each loaf.  Cut 1" wide strips, every 2 inches, down each long side of the rectangles.  Fold strips on an angle, braiding across the filling, alternately side to side.  Place the parchment or silicone onto 2 baking sheets. Cover both loafs and let rest for half an hour.

Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.  When room temperature remove to a platter. 

Make a glaze by combining the powdered sugar with the water, a tablespoon at time  until it reaches a desired consistency, enabling you to drizzle it from a spoon onto the coffee cakes.  Print Recipe

More Braided Breads

  #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.
BreadBakers

25 comments:

  1. Lucky to have fresh cherries. The combination of cheese and cherries sound wonderful and the bread looks so good. Lovely braiding..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of all the coffee cakes of my youth but oh so much better. Sour cherries are so plentiful at the market right now and I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks totally like a braid to me!! I bet that didn't last very long! Fresh sour cherries! I am sooooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am obsessed with sour cherries. I love this coffee cake and could eat the entire thing by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour of cherry , would have tasted great......

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely delicious! :D! I'm all about the cherries lately! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lattice or braided who cares when the photos are screaming 'delicious'. I've got to try the combined flavours of cherries and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Cherry and cheese braid is so beautiful, loved the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your cherry cheese filled braided bread looks amazing -- almost like a danish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherry filled braid looks too inviting. I am drooling!1

    ReplyDelete
  11. this fruit filled braid looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my that oozing cherry filling, lip smacking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my. I would have been snacking on this all day - what an amazing loaf!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.