Saturday, July 1, 2017

Sour Cherry Chocolate Chunk #IceCreamSocial

We're having an Ice Cream Social today.  How fun is that?!  This great idea is the brainchild of our friend, Sue, of Palatable Pastime.  Sue invited us to post
"frozen treats of any kind, such as ice cream, frozen yogurt, gelato,sorbets, ices, affogatos, malts and shakes, ice cream cakes, ice cream pies, ice cream sandwiches, sundaes, popsicles, what have you."
It just so happened that on the heels of this invitation our daughter, Nicole, gave me 2 gallons size bags of tart cherries from their tree.

Last year I had so much fun with the cherries.  I made a pie from some that I had frozen and an amazing strudel when they were fresh.   Both applications were wonderful and freezing the cherries couldn't be easier.  You just pit them and toss them in a freezer bag.  That's it. When you feel like baking just pull them out and use them as you would fresh.

This year I decided to use some of them for this Ice Cream Social.  Tart cherries with chocolate is a great combination and I knew it was going to make some amazing ice cream.


I started out the night before, making my cherry puree and an ice cream base, that I put in the refrigerator overnight.


I set about a 1/2 c. of the cherries aside before pureeing them so I would have some chunks of cherry in the ice cream.  This is completely optional.


I used milk chocolate because I still had this Easter bunny hanging around the cupboard.


A few pulses in the food processor and voila......chocolate chunks.  Of course, you could use milk or semi sweet chocolate chips, if that is what you have in your cupboard.


In the morning, pour your base and your puree into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.  I have a cuisinart and it took about 35 minutes to get to the soft serve stage.


Once it thickened and creamy, add the cherries and chocolate and let it churn them evenly throughout.


You could eat it right now but I poured it into a container and placed it in the freezer to serve as dessert after dinner.


We topped ours with a little more chocolate syrup.  It was soooooooo good.  The perfect ice cream for your next Ice Cream Social.  Enjoy!!

Sour Cherry Ice Cream
adapted from Pastry Chef Online

3 c. sour cherries, pitted
1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
2 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. half and half
1/2 c. chocolate chunks

Combine cherries and 3/4 c. of the sugar in a large bowl.  Refrigerate overnight. Remove 1/4 c. of the cherries, if desired, and coarsely cut into chunks. Place remaining cherries and all the juice into a blender and puree.  Set aside.

Combine both creams, the milk and the remaining 1/2 c. sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil.  Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, 2-3 minutes.  Immediately transfer to a bowl set over an ice bath and let cool for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, place the puree and the milk mixture into the base of an ice cream maker and churn per manufacturers directions adding the reserved cherries and chocolate chunks during the last 5 minutes of churning.

Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until firm, 4-6 hrs.  Print Recipe

More Ice Cream Social Treats

16 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! Chocolate and cherries! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! I love the chocolate and cherry combo and my dad loves it even more! I need to make sure my mom sees this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. chocolate and cherries? What a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I thought of that when my little cherry tree produced a bowl full of cherries. Nope - instead, I ate them all in one sitting, lol. Love cherries and ice cream, so this recipe is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to my friends' house tomorrow and they have a cherry orchard. I might just have to sneak in and pick a bucketful! Thanks fro sharing this recipe, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you have chunks of cherry in the ice cream. Also love that you used up leftover candy! Think of what you (or I) can do with leftover Halloween candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like keeping some chunks in my ice cream too and have a pile of sour cherries at my house. This ice cream sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Delicious I'm sure. I loved that your chocolate was a Easter bunny. They never last at our house long enough to save them for anything.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.