Monday, July 24, 2017

Sorry Baby.....No Leftovers Available Today. #FoodnFlix

This months film for Food n Flix is one of my very favorites of all time, Dirty Dancing.  I was so excited when Chef Sarah Elizabeth chose this film.  You can see her announcement post right here and you can learn all about our Food n Flix club right here.

Basically, we are a group of bloggers who watch the same film during the month and then blog a recipe that was inspired by the film.  It is so much fun seeing the film through other's eyes and stomachs.

Food 'n Flix

I have watched Dirty Dancing numerous times.  I loved Patrick Swayze and he did such a great job in this film.  Jennifer Grey was cast perfectly in the role of Baby Houseman, a young woman who accompanies her family to a resort for three weeks.  Baby is a daddy's girl with a desire to save the world.  She has lived a very sheltered life and her naivete is immediately tested upon arrival at the resort.  She becomes friends with a group of employees whose lives were not as charmed and blessed as Baby's and she soon learns that the world contains more gray than black and white.

I had never watched the film with foodie glasses on and I really couldn't recall any food in the movie at all, other than a watermelon that Baby helps Johnny's (Swayze's) cousin carry to the employee cabins when she gets her first glimpse of a life vastly different from hers.

Image result for dirty dancing

Here is a list of the foods that I missed the first 30 or so times that I watched the film.  Dinner rolls, Pot Roast, Iced Tea, Brownies, Pudding, Cabbage Rolls, Beef, Sweet Gerkhins, Milk, Matzo Meal, A1 sauce, Coca Cola, Brandy, Bagels, Wine, Beer, Grapefruit, Orange Juice, Coffee, Toast and Assorted Pastries. 

There was also the Watermelon, a reference to spaghetti (when Johnny Castle referred to Baby's arms) and a Chinese Lantern, in case I wanted to go Asian. 

I didn't make any of these things.

Instead, I took my inspiration from the very beginning of the movie, when Baby's father, played by Jerry Orbach, commented to the resort owner that Baby would like to have her leftovers shipped to hungry children.

Baby felt badly that she was unable to finish her meal when there were those that go hungry in the world.  I, too, hate wasting food and do my best to use up our leftovers or, at the very least, feed them to my animals.


We grilled up steaks for the 4th of July and, not being sure how many were coming, we had quite a bit of leftovers.  I sliced up the leftovers steak, chopped up the leftover mushrooms and onions and cut the leftover potatoes into chunks.


I put the potatoes, onions and mushrooms into a large skillet with some olive oil and let it crisp up nice and brown.


Then I added the steak to warm, made shallow indentations and added some eggs to the mixture. I covered the pan at this point to help the eggs cook on the top as well, without hardening the yolks.


This made the perfect welcome breakfast for my brother, Larry, and his wife, Mary, who are vacationing in Michigan from California.  Vacationing fits in perfectly with this movie as well and they even sat and watched it again with me for this post.


Steak and Egg Skillet
serves 6

2 T. olive oil
3 leftover baked potatoes, cut into chunks
1 1/2 c. leftover mushrooms and onions (mine were grilled)
3 leftover strip steaks, cut into 1/2" slices
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over med high heat.  Add the potatoes, onions and mushrooms. Let cook until the potatoes start to brown and crisp, about 10-15 minutes.  Flip over and cook other side for another 5-10 minutes.  Add the steak, cook and stir until warmed through.  Make 6 shallow indentations in the mixture, cracking an egg and emptying into each.  Partially cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil and cook until eggs are set to your desired degree.  Divide into 6 equal portions and serve.  Print Recipe











10 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Leftover steak?!?! What's that? My carnivores rarely leave me any leftovers when we have steak. Have a nice visit with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here but I cooked for 4 extra bodies that bowed out at the last minute.

      Delete
  2. Ah!! Such an amazing inspiration! SO clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect use for leftover steak! A unique inspiration from the film, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed this post but glad I sought it out! I love the recipe and that you did it with leftovers. Good synopsis of the film too. You caught a few more foodie references than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries...I always kick myself when the roundup comes out too because of regulars that I missed.

      Delete
  5. That is a great inspiration and a great recipe fro breakfast while cleaning out the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.