Saturday, July 15, 2017

Mango Gazpacho with Shrimp #SoupSaturdaySwappers


This month's Soup Saturday Swappers is being hosted by Paula of The Saucy Southerner.  Paula says that Summer can be soup season and challenged us to share Chilled Soups.

Interested in joining Soup Swappers?  Just leave me a comment with your blog url and email and I will be happy to add you to the group.  We post a soup/stew recipe on the third Saturday of each month, taking turns choosing themes and hosting.


I was excited when Paula chose this theme.  I had been sitting on a Mango Gazpacho recipe for the past few months but hadn't found the time or occasion to make it.  This challenge gave me the incentive I needed to make this creamy, delightful soup.


To make this bright citrusy soup even better, you top it with plump, perfectly cooked shrimp.  The addition of cilantro and mint combine to make it a perfect summery treat.  The recipe, which I found in Lee Bailey's Long Weekends, also included a cube of Grapefruit Jalapeno Ice.  I'm sure that this would have been an amazing addition, however I took this soup with us to our friend's, the Greens, lake house and had no way to transport the ice without it melting, so I omitted it.

The only other adaptations I made to this recipe was to double it as we were feeding a crowd and, since I was using my Vitamix, I just peeled the oranges and limes and pureed them with the mangoes, instead of juicing them.  I also added some mint to the the mixture which I think added a wonderful layer of flavor.

Mango Gazpacho with Shrimp
adapted from Lee Bailey's Long Weekends

3 seedless, navel oranges, peeled and cut into chunks
3 1/2 limes, peeled and halved
6 ripe mangoes, peeled and seeded
1 lg.handful cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 sm. handful mint leaves, finely chopped.
1/4 of an English cucumber, finely chopped
1/2 of a red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 c. red onion, finely chopped
4 t. sesame oil
2 T. rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. medium shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined

Place the oranges, limes and mangoes in a heavy duty blender and puree until smooth.  Stir in the cilantro, mint, cucumber, red bell pepper, onion, oil and vinegar.  Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate overnight or until well chilled.  When ready to serve, pour into shallow bowls and top with 3 or 4 shrimp. Print Recipe

More Wonderful Chilled Soups


10 comments:

  1. I have that cookbook and it contains some really wonderful recipes! This sounds just incredible! Thank you so much, Wendy! P~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently received it as a gift Paula and this is the first recipe I have made from it. It will not be the last. Thanks for hosting this month.

      Delete
  2. Ever since I made your mango shrimp, I've loved the flavor combination. This sounds delicious! Don't you love it when the stars align and you get to make a recipe you've always wanted to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Karen and I am so glad to have introduced you to this fabulous flavor combo.

      Delete
  3. Not only does this soup sound and look amazing but the shrimp addition has me totally drooling over it. I can just imagine how wonderful it must taste! I think I need to go buy a few mangos and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Colleen. Perhaps you can shoot a couple of amazing photos of the dish and really do it justice.

      Delete
  4. Quite a few in our group went the fruit route for this months theme. Your soup looks so creamy, and I'm intrigued by the cilantro/mint combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and right before this challenge I had a strawberry soup at a restaurant where I had lunch. I need to work on recreating that.

      Delete
  5. I love this soup with mango and mixture of fruits and veggies, with that prawn topping it looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.