Thursday, June 11, 2015

Thrashed on Thursday

I got up this morning with every intention of going to Zumba and then the dogs found something very smelly to roll around in so we ended up doing showers instead.  Sherman is not crazy about showers but he puts up with them.  Shadow....Oh My Lord.....you would think that I was killing that dog.  He cries and screams and howls and whimpers.  He tries to break loose, he twists himself onto his back and scratches the heck out of your arms trying to get away from the deadly spray of acid that you are trying to put all over him.  Then he will stand there and let you soap him up and scrub him down until you bring out the fire hose again and then...............he twists, he howls, he screams......you get the idea.  I was exhausted by the time I was done.


Shadow would have done this had he been in a bathtub instead of a shower LOL

Then I went out to take care of the baby chicks and found one dead.  I knew it was coming because the little guy was not growing along with the others but it still is a sad thing.

I straightened the house a bit, did some computer work for a party we are giving for our Sister who is retiring in August and then went to see Mom.  My sister met me at Mom's and then we went out to lunch which was very nice.  She and I do not get to spend as much time together as we would like.

Image result for sister quotes

After lunch, I ran to the office supply store for labels for Sister's party, hit TSC for chicken feed and pine shavings and stopped at Meijer for a few items.  Having been on vacation earlier in the week, I had not done a Weekly Menu, so I scrounged around in the freezer and found some meatballs I had made and frozen.  I made up some mushroom gravy, opened a can of corn and made some mashed potatoes.  As soon as dinner was over and the kitchen was cleaned I headed out for a meeting at church.


I put 4 c. of fruit into this cake.
Isn't it lovely?

Tomorrow morning, I have a group coming over to do the invitations for Sister's party.  I wanted to have something to serve them with their coffee so I looked in the fridge and found some rhubarb left from that I had gotten from John and Kirsten and some blueberries and strawberries that needed to be used up before they turned.  I decided to make a cake.  It is in the oven right now and I am having a glass of wine and breathing while it bakes and then I will share my recipe with you.....unless it tastes bad and then I will delete this entire paragraph like it never happened LOL.


I wanted it to be a coffee cake so I added a streusel topping.
A cream cheese frosting would be nice if you wanted to serve it as dessert.


I baked it in an 8x4" pan and it took nearly an hour.
Adjust your baking time according to the pan you use.
The cake is done when a skewer inserted removes cleanly.


Delicious!!
This may be my new favorite coffee cake.
I will be proud to serve it up tomorrow morning and I am proud to share the recipe.


Rhubarb Berry Coffee Cake

1 c. strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 c. blueberries
2 c. diced rhubarb
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
5 T. cold butter, cut into 5 pieces
1 t. cinnamon

In large bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the sugars, soda, salt and flour.  Add eggs and sour cream.  Mix on low speed until combined, turn speed to medium and beat for 1 or 2 minutes.  Stir in the fruit and spread into an 8x4" or 9x5" pan that has been treated with baking spray. 

Place 1/3 c. sugar, 1/4 c. flour, butter and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse several times. Sprinkle over batter.

Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 40 -55 minutes or until  a skewer inserted in the center of the cake removes cleanly.  Print Recipe




4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, may have to hit Kirsten up for some rhubarb this year. lol. I will for sure be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a ton of it and yes, Karen, you do need to try this.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Just a busy day this weekend should be pretty quiet so I am hoping to finally get some flowers planted around here.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.