Friday, December 5, 2014

Tis the Season

Kate over at Heading Home is the host of Five Minute Friday.  She took over a few months ago and she does a wonderful job of leading this group and encouraging us to write each Friday for five minutes flat on a prompt that she has chosen.  We just write, we don't overthink it or worry about it, we just write.

Kate has recently written a book "Letters to Grief" which she is offering free of charge to any of us that would like it.  All we need to do is click on the link before the end of the day today.  Kate is a wonderful writer and I am looking forward to reading her letters.

Today's prompt from Kate is Dear....


Start

Tis the season to be jolly, however I find it can also be the season of melancholy.  For many, perhaps even most of us, it is a season where we sorely miss all of those who were and are dear to us and are no longer or can't be here with us to celebrate.

It is at this time of year that we seem to miss them even more than we usually do.  Whether they have passed from this world, moved away from the area or are deployed over seas, many families suffer a feeling of loss during this time of year.

I especially miss my dear brother, who chose to take his own life on December 11th.  The anniversary is near and it is always so difficult.  Difficult because we miss him.  Difficult because I feel as if, somehow, I failed him.  I feel as if there may have been something I could have done, or said, or gotten across to him that would have let him know that he could never be a burden to us and that we loved him so very much.

Stop

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Wendy! You know that I know your pain! December is a hard month for me as well. It was the last time that I saw my dad before he committed suicide in January 1959. Sending you many, many hugs today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula....it occurs to me that this may have played a part in my feeling yucky yesterday. It must be even harder to lose a parent this way. Hugs right back at you.

      Delete
  2. Oh Wendy, such sorrow. I am so very sorry, dear friend. (((xo)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The missing is hard. I'm so sorry for the loss and sadness that comes around the time of your brother's passing. My husband suffers from depression and if I'm honest, it's one of the deepest fears I carry and I have to face down every time he goes through rough patch. I hope I don't have to stand in your shoes, but I'm also deeply sorry that you have to either. No one should have to go through that. I pray for peace and comfort as you mark this difficult anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany and I pray your husband finds help for his depression. It can be controlled but only if the person suffering will accept the help they need.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.