Wednesday, December 10, 2014

C.L.U.E. Society

CLUE logo

I have joined a new cooking club.  Hard to believe isn't it.  This club is much like the Secret Recipe Club inasmuch as we are each assigned another blogger and we sneak around their blogs without letting them know that we are assigned to them.  We look for a recipe to make from their recipe files and we blog about the recipe and the blogger to whom we were assigned.  The difference between this club and SRC is that we are given a "theme" each month and we have to find a recipe that fits in with that theme.

So the theme for this month was "In your Grandmother's Kitchen".  We each had to find a recipe that our Grandmother would have made.  My grandmother came to this country from Czechoslavakia as a young girl.  She met my grandfather, who was from Sweden and they got married however when my Grandmother was pregnant with my Mom, my Grandfather was called home to Sweden as his father was ill.  My Grandmother refused to leave the USA and my Grandfather went back to "the old country" as my grandma called it and was never seen nor heard from again.

When my Mom was 2 my grandma married the man who raised her and her older sister along with the 4 children they had together.  My Pa died when I was 6 yrs old and I don't remember him too much. My grandma and I were close though and I have many fond memories of her.  My Grandma made simple, hearty food.  Stews and Soups were very popular.  My Grandma also made the best Raisin Bread in the world and a mean Blueberry Pie.  True to her heritage their was also Boiled Tongue and Head Cheese on her table.


My Blog assignment this month was Jean of Lemons and Anchovies.  The first recipe I saw when I opened her blog was Cinnamon Raisin Streusel Muffins which of course caught my eye right away since I have such fond memories of Grandma's Raisin Bread. But that was only one of hundreds of recipes available to me.  Jean has been blogging about food since 2010 so you can imagine the extent of her recipe file.  I found a recipe for Braised Oxtail, which also would have been perfect for my Grandma but I had just made Osso Bucco for dinner and thought it was too similar to serve during the same week.  Then I found a recipe for Swedish Dark Rye Bread that Jean had developed after a trip to Europe and I was sold.  Not only was it reminiscent of Grandma's homemade breads but it was Swedish so it also referenced my biological Grandfather. 

I made this bread with only one variation.  I used regular rye flour instead of dark rye flour because that was what I had but with the addition of the molasses the bread was still very dark.  I was afraid I over cooked it a bit because the top was very dark but there was no burnt taste at all.  Just dense goodness with a hint of licorice and a nice nutty crunch.  It definitely reminded me of "the Old Country" with it's rich heartiness and rustic flavors. 


The batter was very thick and had to be spread into the prepared loaf pan.


I was afraid that I had over cooked it but there was no burnt taste to it.


Just yummy, nutty, hearty goodness.
You can see the flecks of sunflower and fennel seed.

Swedish Dark Rye Bread
slightly adapted from Lemons and Anchovies

1 2/3 c. rye flour
1/2 c. + 1/3 c. all purpose flour
2 T. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 heaping T. baking cocoa
1 T. fennel seeds
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1 1/3 c. plain yogurt
3/4 c. molasses
2-3 T. half and half

Preheat oven to 350*.  Prepare loaf pan by spraying with baking spray or greasing with butter and dusting with flour.  Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the yogurt and molasses and stir until combined.  The dough will be thick, if it looks dry, stir in the cream.

Bake at 350* for 55-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 190*


Below is a list of participants in this months CLUES Society.  Stop by and see what they found that reminded them of their Grandmother's Kitchen.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, it turned out wonderful and then wouldn't you know I join Bread Bakers and what is the theme for January. RYE....I should have saved it for then LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh, there is nothing better than homemade bread! And this rye looks amazing! PS both my parents loved tongue...my sisters and I were not very excited when it landed on our dinner table, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still make it and enjoy it. I will have to blog it next time I make one.

      Delete
  3. Love the photo of your grandmother! Home made bread... yes please!! Great choice for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the story about your grandma. How awful to have your husband leave and never hear from him again. Bread looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother said that even after she was married, when she would be washing dishes and looking out the kitchen window, if a stranger would be walking down the street her heart would start beating real fast because she thought it might be her father looking for her. I always said that he was probably rolling in the dough and we should find him because I know I was born to be rich LOL

      Delete
  5. What an amazing story about your grandmother. I'm so happy that she found love again after her husband left. It sounds like she was a tenacious, strong woman. We love rye bread. While my husband will toast it for breakfast, I love it for Reuben sandwiches. Yours looks perfect (not at all burned).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom Chef, Grandma was quite the woman. She worked the farm all her life while Pa sold real estate and turned houses that she would have to live in while he remodled them. My mom claims she never went to the same school for more than a year at a time.

      Delete
  6. The loaf is gorgeous! I love dark breads - The story of your grandmother is wonderful. You must be very proud of her for sticking to her guns to stay here at whatever the cost so you - literally you - could have a better life than she thought was awaiting back in Sweden. I know I would hold her in the highest esteem! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Kelli, she was a wonderful woman. I didn't mention in my post that she was only 15 when she came over all by herself without even knowing the language.

      Delete
  7. I love the story about your gramma. And I love rye bread. It's probably my favorite type of bread, so I know I'll be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandmother's story is amazing. I imagine her to have had such an independent spirit. I'm happy for her that she continued on to grow her family. I don't think I saw her raisin bread recipe in your index. Would love to try it sometime.

    So glad you liked this recipe, Wendy. It does make a thick dough, doesn't it? Your kavring turned out great! Glad to have had a chance to bake from each other's blogs this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I never got her raisin bread recipe and my Mom wasn't they type to have asked for or kept it. So all I have are fond memories but perhaps my Aunt Joanne has it. I will have to ask her.

      Delete
  9. I am just loving these grandmother stories this round. So glad you found a heritage recipe. This was so much fun this month !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rye bread is one of my favorite things. This is a must make really soon - looks divine! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh how cool is this?? I've wanted to bake rye bread but I haven't so far, you've inspired me to give it a shot though! What a perfect way to celebrate your grandparents! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous bread for sure, full of flavor. Grandmothers are the best. Sounds like a great club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Evelyne. You should join us. Look us up on Facebook. We would love to have you.

      Delete
    2. You should be getting an invitation. If you don't please let me know.

      Delete
  13. I love the picture and stories of your grandmother! Plus, the raisin bread looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.