Friday, December 12, 2014

I was not prepared......

It is time for 5 minute Friday.  This is the day that we are given a prompt by Kate over at Heading Home, and we write on that prompt for 5 minutes.  We just write.  We don't overthink, we don't worry about spelling or grammer.  We just write about what's on our minds and our hearts and this gives us comfort....because writing is what we do.


Today's prompt from Kate is Prepare.

Start

Tis the season for preparedness.  We work hard to prepare the way for the Lord's birth.  We deck the halls, we hang ornaments and bunting and boughs of holly.  We prepare food and drink.  We prepare our houses for entertaining and our gifts for giving.  We prepare ourselves to allow Jesus to enter, fully, into our lives and to guide our thoughts and decisions.

We prepare to spend time with family and friends.  We don't prepare for death....yet it seems to come so often at this time of year.  Yesterday was the anniversary of my brother's death.  A death that he chose.  A death for which he was evidently prepared.  But I was not.  I was not prepared for his death. I was not prepared for the loss.  It has been 2 years now and I am still not prepared.  I push it from my mind. I try not to think about it.  I fall down on my knees and I pray to our God that my brother has found the peace in death that he could not find in life and I pray that God send his peace down to us, his family, that we may still experience the joy of the season as our hearts break in half.

End

10 comments:

  1. wow. what a painful anniversary this time of year. i know there is nothing that can prepare you for that...i hate that for you. we have a similar brother death in our family...not his choice but a tragedy and his birthday is right at christmas...it always seems to hang dark a few days before Christmas. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Summer and hugs to you as you suffer through your loss as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wendy! A {{hug}} for you my friend. I wonder why it is that death seems to come so often at this time of the year. And they are the saddest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge hugs Wendy... loss is so difficult... especially connected with the Holidays. Thanksgiving and my son's birthday are always a little more difficult to me because of the proximity to my mother's death... sending love your way during this difficult anniversary for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful,
    I share in all that you're enduring my friend, bless you...
    I've lost too many loved ones at this time of year, the empty void is always there with me...
    My Son, Aaron taken far too early in life on New Years Eve makes your post so meaningful for me, he was only 27 years old, he may not be with us in life, yet his special memories are priceless...
    Aaron will live on in the love that we hold so close in our Hearts for a handsome, happy, caring wonderful young man who we cherish each & every day...
    Bless You Aaron darling, love you always...
    Until we meet again, remember how much you're adored & dearly missed, love you, Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Odelle, I cannot imagine the pain and sadness of losing a child. It has to be very devastating. Hugs and prayers being sent your way.

      Delete
  6. The holidays are always a time for remembering. My momma passed a little less than 2 years ago. Not a planned as you had to deal with but so hard as well. May God bless and wrap you in HIS arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a hard time of the year and a time when we can't help but remember and miss those who have gone before us.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.