Sunday, February 28, 2016

Pineapple Meringue Pie for #SundaySupper

This week the Sunday Supper folks are sharing pie recipes.  Sweet or savory, breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert.  Able to be held in your hands or messy as can be, requiring not only forks but lots of napkins.  All kinds of pies!  This is thanks to Erica of  The Crumby Cupcake who is hosting the party this month.


I have a pie loving family.  My children often asked for Birthday Pie instead of Birthday Cake.  Amy's  favorites are apple and pumpkin.  Chuck's favorite is Holy Cow Chocolate Pie.  Tingting is partial to pumpkin.  My favorites are pumpkin, apple. lemon meringue and blueberry.  Frank?  Frank loves all pies...his favorite is my apple pie, but he also loves cream pies, chocolate cream, banana cream, pineapple cream, coconut cream.  Of course, he wouldn't turn down a peach, cherry, blueberry or strawberry pie either.  When I asked him what kind of pie he would like for this event he asked for pineapple.  I found this recipe in one of my old issues of  Cuisine at Home and decided to make it to share with you.  I'm glad I did and I think you will be glad that I did too.




Pineapple Meringue Pie
as found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #56

Crust:
1 c. flour
1/4 c. powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
4 oz. cream cheese, cubed

Filling:
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
1/3 c. water
5 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
3 eggs
6 T. unsalted butter
pinch of salt
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 (5 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained

Meringue:
5 egg whites
1/2 t. cream of tartar
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400*.  Spray a 9" glass baking pan with cooking spray.

Place flour, sugar, and salt for crust in food processor and pulse to combine.  Add the butter and cream cheese, blend until dough forms a ball.  Press flat, wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.  

Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 12-14" circle.  Transfer to pie plate, trim and crimp edges.  Place in freezer for 15 minutes.  Remove from freezer and blind bake (line with foil filled with beans, rice or pie beads) for 25 minutes.  Remove foil and weights and cook 10 minutes longer. When removing crust, reduce oven to 325*.

While crust is baking, whisk all ingredients for filling,except crushed pineapple in a saucepan placed over medium heat.  Cook and stir for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens.

Remove crust from oven and pour hot filling mixture through a fine mesh sieve into the hot crust. Sprinkle the crushed pineapple over the filling and stir lightly.  Place pie back in oven and bake until filling is just set, 15-20 minutes ( my filling took 30 minutes to set).  Remove pie from oven and raise temperature to 425*.

While pie is baking, place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Beat until soft peaks appear then gradually beat in the sugar.  Continue beating until glossy with stiff peaks.  Add vanilla.

Remove pie from oven.  While pie is still piping hot, add the meringue around the sides of the pie, extending past the crust to the pie plate.  Place remaining meringue into the center and then spread the meringue from the edges into the center until the whole pie is covered and lifting the spatula occasionally to make peaks.  Return pie to hot oven and bake for 5 minutes until golden brown.  As you can see from mine I could have removed it 30 seconds sooner so keep an eye on it.  Let cool completely before serving.  Print Recipe


Sweet As Pie
Mealtime Pie
Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement

14 comments:

  1. Cream cheese in pie crust is a great idea! Love the twist on traditional meringue pie with pineapple too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had a pineapple pie. This sounds delish! I really don't make many desserts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I didn't make so many Paula. It plays havoc with my waist line.

      Delete
  3. What a great recipe, Wendy! I finally made the grapefruit pie...by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique idea! Plus, that crust looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought of a pineapple pie before! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good! I haven't has pineapple pie before. The closest I have come is a pina colada pie and a pineapple cheesecake. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that meringue topping! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara, I could have pulled it out a minute earlier I think

      Delete
  8. Hi Wendy,

    I was searching for some pies ideas this morning when I came across your amazing recipe: Pineapple Meringue Pie.

    I couldn't help but notice a few broken links in the post that didn't seem working.

    Let me know at phoebe.milkwoodrestaurant@gmail.com if you want me to forward you the short list that I jotted down.


    Cheers,

    Phoebe
    Milkwoodrestaurant.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoebe. Thanks for stopping by. Sometimes when involved in a group event the links to the others get broken as time passes. This could be because they are no longer blogging or they chose to remove their post for some reason. Thanks for the offer of help. Have a great day.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.