Saturday, February 20, 2016

Crockpot Baked Lentils for Crazy Ingredient Challenge

This month for Crazy Ingredient Challenge the votes came in for Lentils and Molasses. I had almost forgotten about this challenge but thankfully one of our members, Dawn, of Spatulas on Parade sent out a little reminder.


So I put on my thinking cap.  Lentils and Molasses.  I guess that is not too odd of a combination.  I love lentils but usually serve them up in soup or stew.  Bottom line, they are beans.  I usually sweeten my baked beans with brown sugar or honey but I know that others sometimes use molasses in their baked beans.  I decided to make baked beans out of lentils using the crockpot.  

They were easy and they were good.  I am not a huge molasses fan and would have preferred them sweetened with brown sugar but they certainly were tasty enough to enjoy with our Fried Chicken Dinner.  They were quicker and easier than using pinto beans and just as good but because they cook so quickly you have to watch that they don't start to burn even in a crockpot.  These also have the advantage of being vegan friendly.


Crockpot Baked Lentils

1 c. lentils
2 c. vegetable stock
2 T. molasses
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
3 shakes of hot sauce
2 T. catsup
1 T. yellow mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low heat for 3-4 hrs., until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender.  Print Recipe

Let's enjoy some more Lentil and Molasses creations





9 comments:

  1. Similar to mine but enough different I can tell you didn't "copy" me LOL
    I love baked beans and I love lentils so the two just seemed to call to one another. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Great use of ingredients. I have to make this soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baked beans so I am sure I would like these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I have ever eaten lentils. Something I must try. And I love molasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crockpot recipes! This is a great side dish to prepare in a smaller crockpot while you cook a BBQ pork loin in a large one. Pinning this to try.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.