Thursday, February 4, 2016

Shrimp Balls with Tangerine Hatch Chile Dipping Sauce #FreshTastyValentines

Have you been enjoying our #FreshTastyValentines event?  I know that I have been enjoying sharing my menu with you.  We have made it to the last of the first courses.  Today we will enjoy our fish course with the last of our Woodbridge Sauvignon Blanc that we received as a sponsor gift for this event.  We will be switching to the Woodbridge Pinot Noir after the next course which is simply sorbet with which to cleanse our palates.


This is a light citrusy wine with floral notes.
It paired fabulously with the spicy citrus sauce that accompanied the shrimp balls.

In addition to the wine, I also used products from two additional sponsors for this course of Shrimp Balls with Tangerine Hatch Chile Sauce.  As always all opinions expressed in this blog are 100% honest and 100% mine.


The lightly dried cilantro from Gourmet Garden was perfect in the shrimp balls.
A sauce made with a base of  Not Ketchup had just the right amount of spice.

Not Ketchup Fruit Ketchups

These little tender morsels would also make a perfect appetizer.  When having a meal with a lot of courses it is important that you keep each course to just a taste so that your guests don't explode before the entree arrives.


This recipe made 28 little shrimp balls.
Serve each guest 3 or 4 of these little darlings with a schmear of the sauce.



Shrimp Balls with Tangerine Hatch Chile Sauce
Shrimp Balls adapted from My Grandmother's Chinese Kitchen


For Shrimp Balls:

3/4 lb. cooked shrimp, cleaned and shelled
3 T. lightly dried cilantro
1 egg white, beaten
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
pinch white pepper
1 t. soy sauce
2 t. oyster sauce
2 t. sesame oil
1 t. hemp oil
2 t. dry sherry

Place shrimp in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until it is a paste like consistency.  Remove to large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is firm.  With wet hands, to prevent sticking, roll into 28 small balls.  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the shrimp balls, return to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.  Immediately rinse with cold water to stop cooking.  

For Sauce:

2/3 c. Not Ketchup Tangerine Hatch Chile 
2 T. honey
1 T. soy sauce

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan over med high heat.  Bring to a light boil, stirring to blend.  Serve with Shrimp Balls  Print Recipe









10 comments:

  1. Not a shrimp fan but I can definitely imagine dipping other kind of meat-balls in this sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah Erin,, It would be great brushed on wings too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tasty appetizer! Love the flavors of that sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tangerine sauce sounds really good. I am such a huge fan of anything citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tried shrimp this way, you got my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So delicious! I'm glad you are enjoying the Tangerine Hatch Chile Not Ketchup. I'm not supposed to have a favorite, but secretly, this is it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing it with us Erika. I love it but I think my fave is still the cherry chipotle. I am using the tangerine hatch on wings next and I will see if I like that as well as the cherry chipotle wings I made with Not Ketchup.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.