Saturday, February 20, 2016

Let's go to Alsace with the #FrenchWinophiles.


We have traveled through all of France and are now finishing up in the Alsace region.  Alsace lies on the west bank of the Rhine and shares a border with Germany.  Because of the location Germany and this region of France share many of the same types of wine.  Alsace is best known for it's white wines such as Riesling and Gewerztraminer which I chose to showcase today.


Why did I chose to showcase this particular wine?


Because after 4 stores and 45 miles this was the first bottle I found. 
This was also the only wine from the Alsace region that they carried.
The Helfrich Winery, established in 1934 is a family ran business.
The Helfrich family is descended from a long line of Alsatians.
You can learn about them and their wines at this site.


Gewurztraminer is translated to Spice Traminer.
Traminer is the Sauvignon Blanc grape that is the base of this wine.
It is one of the rare wines that pairs well with Asian Foods.
So with all the Asian cooking I do you would think that I would pair it with that!
Nope, uhuh....No Asian on the menu this week.


What was on the menu was Fried Chicken  served with mashed potatoes, corn and the Baked Lentils that I shared earlier today in the CIC post.  It was a great pairing and I enjoyed this wine very much. The next time I am in the area of the store where I purchased it I will be picking up a couple more bottles to pour with our next Asian meal.

Let's take a look at some more wonderful wines from the Alsace Region


Join us Saturday, February 18th for a live Twitter Chat at 8 am PST/11 am EST using #Winophiles.

Upcoming events:

Loire Valley Tour
  • March 19th  – Pays/Nantes
  • April 16th – Anjou/Saumer
  • May 21st – Touraine/Vouvray
  • June 18th  – Upper Loire – Cheverny, Sancerre, Pouilly-Fume/Pouilly-Sur-Loire

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you had a to go to a lot of effort to find your wine! I also enjoyed a Gewürzt for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when you live, as my children like to say, in the middle of nowhere.

      Delete
  2. Who doesn't love fried chicken? Add a bottle of wine and I'd feel really spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly enjoying your descriptions of wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, you should read the posts written by the others. I always feel like my posts are pretty lame LOL.

      Delete
  4. I've heard Gewurz and Fried Chicken (it's also quite good with bubbly and Gruner if you're looking for other ideas for wines to pair with fried chicken) are great together...I guess it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard Gewurz and Fried Chicken (it's also quite good with bubbly and Gruner if you're looking for other ideas for wines to pair with fried chicken) are great together...I guess it's true!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.