Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Corn Muffins....or a Muffin Monday recipe that was not....

I almost didn't post this month.  I've been busy and I hadn't gotten around to looking up a muffin recipe to make and the end of the month was approaching.  We always share our Muffin Monday recipes on the last day of the month.  I was making some corn muffins to go along with chili for dinner one night, decided to check my recipe file and was amazed that I had never posted corn muffins before.  I clicked off some quick photos and voila....I am here to share Muffin Monday with all my Muffin Minded friends.


I was raised having bread with nearly every dinner.  I am sure it was to help fill all of our bellies when Mom was stretching 2 lbs of meat to feed eight hungry mouths, four of which were growing boys. None the less, I don't feel like dinner is complete without bread of some sort.  Corn muffins are my go to if I haven't been baking or been to bakery.  They take minutes to throw together and bake and they are delicious with soups, stews, pastas, fried chicken and pot roasts.  Biscuits come in a close second.


That's why I couldn't believe I hadn't shared the recipe before now.  I guess since I make them so often I just assumed that I had.  Luckily this oversight is as easily remedied as these muffins are to make. 

OOPS!!!!!

When I finished this post and went to share the info on the Muffin Monday page I was reminded that because this is a leap year, Stacy had decided to do a theme muffin.  The theme is "unusual ingredients".  There is absolutely nothing unusual in these muffins so....... I am sharing them today instead of next Monday when I will be sharing an "unusual" recipe.  Of all the things I have lost in life I really, really miss my mind the most!!

Corn Muffins
adapted from Quaker

1 c. corn meal
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
pinch of salt
4 t. baking powder
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 c. canola oil

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Add buttermilk, egg and oil.  Stir until combined.  Scoop into 12 muffin tins that have been treated with cooking spray.  Allow to stand while oven preheats to 425*, this allows them to have more of a crown.  Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Print Recipe






4 comments:

  1. Exactly the way I make them....Except when I am lazy and use a Jiffy Mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jiffy Mix is pretty good too but I don't always have them on hand.

      Delete
  2. We didn't always have bread on the table growing up but if your delicious muffins were a choice, I'd have been asking for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy, sometimes it was just a loaf of wonder bread but there was always bread. I also remember snacking on bread and karo syrup at night. Funny the things that stay with you.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.