Monday, February 22, 2016

Pizza Rolls for Secret Recipe Club

This month I was given  Caleigh's Kitchen as my Secret Recipe Club assignment.  SRC is a club of nearly 100 bloggers, broken into 4 groups.  Each month you are assigned another blogger from your group and you secretly get to know that person by checking out their blog, postings, social media sites and recipes.  On reveal day you all write a post and share a recipe from your assignment's blog and everyone shares the links so that we can see who had who.  It is a fun, supportive and loving group and you are welcome to join us.  You can learn how by going to this post.


Before I share the recipe I chose let me introduce you to Amber of Caleigh's Kitchen.  Amber, her husband and her adorable little daughter live in East Texas.  So far east, she says, that they often go to Louisiana for dinner.  Amber has a BA in anthropology and began her blog as a way of sharing her recipes with friends who were often requesting them.  Why is her blog named Caleigh's Kitchen? You will have to go to her about page to learn that but I will give you a hint....Her daughter is NOT named Caleigh.

Amber has a lot of wonderful recipes and even has a gluten free section if gluten is a problem for you.  I was invited to a party and asked to bring a dish to pass so I knew I wanted to make something from Caleigh's Kitchen that I could take with me.  I checked out her appetizer section and nearly made these Black Bean and Goat Cheese Empanadas or these Homemade Oreos.  But then I came across the perfect recipe.  Yep....you know me......the perfect recipe is defined as EASY, PEASY and DELICIOUS.


Amber had these Pizza Rolls filed under Main Dishes but I knew they would make a perfect dish to pass as an appetizer too. Her blog title even calls them easy peasy pizza rolls! How could I not make them?  I doubled Amber's recipe.  They were a huge hit.  I could have tripled it and still not had any left at the end of the party.


How easy are they?  Open a package or two of refrigerated pizza dough.  Unroll it and hit it a little bit with a rolling pin so it measures approx. 12"x8".  Use a pizza cutter to make 24 pieces of dough.


Sprinkle your fillings, I used mini pepperoni and shredded mozzarella, over half of the squares.  I didn't bother measuring.  I just eyeballed it.


Lay another piece of dough over the filling and press along the edges to seal.  You want all of the filling to be contained within the dough.


Pinch it together at the bottom to create a ball as you would when forming dinner rolls.  Place them seam side down into a baking pan.  I used a 9"x 13" for this doubled recipe.


I slathered them with Tuscan Herb Flavored Olive Oil.  Sprinkled them with garlic powder and shredded parmesan cheese.  If you don't have flavored oil, use regular and sprinkle with some Italian herbs, if desired.


Bake in a hot (400* oven) for 15-20 minutes and then move pan to cooling rack to allow them to cool enough to be able to eat.


Serve hot with heated marinara or pizza sauce or you can do as I and serve them room temperature with room temperature marinara sauce.  DELICIOUS!!

Pizza Rolls
slightly adapted from Caleigh's Kitchen

2 rolls refrigerated pizza dough
1 package miniature pepperoni
shredded Mozzarella cheese
Herb flavored olive oil
garlic powder
shredded Parmesan cheese
Prepared marinara or pizza sauce

Roll out dough to 12" x 8" rectangle.  Cut each rectangle into 20 squares with a pizza cutter. Sprinkle half of the squares with Mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni.  Cover with a second square, pressing to seal edges.  Form into a roll by pinching the bottom together.  Place in a lightly sprayed or oiled 9" x 13" baking pan.  Liberally brush with flavored olive oil, sprinkle with the garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brow and no longer doughy.  Serve with a side of sauce.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others are sharing today!


18 comments:

  1. Seems as if bread is the SRC choice for February! Love the look of this recipe Wendy and I bet they tasted wonderful! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how that works Karen. They were very delicious.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed them, I haven't made them in a while and am solo parenting this week. I am going to have to make them again this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious and I'm sure they were devoured!!! Perfect for a party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely and the perfect party food. I actually had planned on making them for the Super Bowl and then never did. this post has me wanting to try them all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids would love making and eating these!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh. I have another packet of pepperoni leftover from my daughter's birthday party. Looks like it will be going towards this. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound awesome, and I adore Amber and her blog, so I'm glad you got her! Awesome choice for the SRC, and an even better choice for bringing to the party! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look absolutely adorable, and in a way quite decadent too... nice combination!

    Hope you had a wonderful Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.