Monday, February 15, 2016

Menu Change for Meatless Monday

A couple of weeks ago, I had Stuffed Shells on the menu for Meatless Monday.  They didn't get made.  The following week, I put them back on the menu, they didn't get made.  This week I took them off the menu.  You got it....They got made.


My friend,Sandy, broke her ankle so I wanted to make her up a casserole to take over after Mass along with the Holy Eucharist since she was unable to get out of the house yet.  She gets her permanent cast tomorrow so should be able to get out of the house but unable to drive.  I was going to  make lasagna but then remembered about the Stuffed Shells I still hadn't made.  All I needed was the spinach and it would give me an opportunity to use up some cheese that was left from a cheese tray we had gotten when Mom passed.  This recipe will make 2 (8x8) casseroles or 1 (9x13) casserole to feed 6-8 people.

Stuffed Shells
adapted from Cuisine 

24 jumbo pasta shells
5 oz. baby spinach
2 t. olive oil
2 t. garlic paste
1 (15 oz) tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. oregano paste
1/2 t. dried basil.
1 (15 oz) carton ricotta cheese
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese of choice (I used a mixture of colby, cheddar, jack and mozzarella)
1/2 c. shredded parmesan plus more for sprinkling
Zest from 1/2 lemon
freshly grated nutmeg 
salt and pepper to taste
1 pint grape tomatoes

Cook pasta shells to al dente per package directions.  Rinse with cold water and set aside.

Blanch the baby spinach briefly in hot water, squeeze dry in paper towels. 

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.  Add tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Cook to heat through, taste and season with salt and pepper.  Cover bottom of baking dish(es) with sauce.

Combine cheeses, lemon zest, nutmeg, salt, pepper and spinach in a large bowl.  Stuff each of the shells with this mixture and place into the baking pans on top of the sauce.  Sprinkle the grape tomatoes over the shells.  Sprinkle with additional parmesan and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.  Print Recipe

6 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.