Saturday, February 13, 2016

Asian Style Tuna and Noodles featuring #HealthySolutions Spice Blends

I joined the Healthy Solutions Spice Blends 2016 Challenge.  We were challenged to create a recipe, using the spice blend of our choice, that Blended Healthy with Great Taste.


I requested, and was sent the Sesame Ginger Tuna, Spice Blend.  The Spice Blends are all natural, do not contain any msg, fillers or preservatives.  The ingredient list is simply sesame seeds, dehydrated onion and spices.  That's it.  Just those three simple ingredients.

Upon receiving the Healthy Solutions Spice Blend I started brainstorming what kind of recipe I wanted to make.  I knew that the season of Lent was near and, being Catholic, we tend to eat a lot more fish dishes during this time.  As a kid we would often have frozen fishsticks (gag) or, when I was lucky, Mom would make tuna noodle casserole.  I loved tuna noodle casserole and I love it still today but I wouldn't exactly call it healthy.  Mom would add cream of whatever soup, canned tuna, noodles, cheese, peas and crumble potato chips all over the top.

I decided that I wanted to make a fresher, healthier version of tuna noodle casserole seasoning it with the Healthy Solutions Spice Blend.  The sesame ginger flavors always remind me of Asian food. Asian food can be very healthy as long as you don't add the msg and gravies often found in Americanized versions.  I knew I would have a winning, healthy, colorful plate if I made an Asian Style Tuna and Noodles, so I went to work.


I chose to mix in some roasted black sesame seeds just for a little interest and color.


I knew I wanted peas because after all it was Tuna and Noodles and Mom always added peas.I wanted some color so added a red bell pepper for some "pop". To make it even faster and easier I purchased some pre-cooked Stir Fry Noodles. I used coconut oil, flavored with garlic and ginger, in which to cook the vegetables and noodles. I added teriyaki sauce which did contain salt and sugar.


There were 3 of us for dinner, so I had 3 gorgeous tuna steaks. I used the complete packet of Healthy Seasonings along with the extra sesame seeds. I will use 2 packets for 4-6 steaks in the future.  Once the steaks are coated with the seasoning blend, they only need to sear in hot coconut oil for 3 minutes on each side for a perfect medium rare.


The entire meal took less than 20 minutes from the time I started prepping the vegetables to serving my family.  The tuna steaks were seasoned perfectly without any salt at all. The noodles and vegetables flavored with ginger, garlic and teriyaki were the perfect foil for these delicious tuna steaks.  This dish is going to become a regular rotation on our menus throughout the year.  It is too good to save only for Lent.

One of the requirements of this contest were that I include a youtube video of me preparing my recipe so I am including that for your viewing pleasure as well.  If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh or two.





Asian Style Tuna and Noodles
created by A Day in the Life on the Farm for Healthy Solutions Spice Blends

2-3 (6 oz) Wild Caught Pacific Salmon Steaks
1 pkg. Healthy Solutions Sesame Ginger Tuna Spice Blend
1 t. minced ginger
2 t. minced garlic
1 T. Roasted Black Sesame Seeds
3 T. coconut oil, divided
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
8 oz. Snow Peas, trimmed
1 pkg (14 oz) ready to serve Stir-Fry Noodles
1/2 c. Teriyaki Sauce

In a large skillet (preferably cast iron) heat 1 1/2 T. of the coconut oil over med high heat.  Combine Sesame Ginger Tuna Spice Blend and black sesame seeds on a shallow bowl.  Press each tuna steak into the spice blend mixture coating both sides.  When the oil is shimmering, add the tuna steaks and cook for 3 minutes on each side for med rare.  

While tuna steaks are cooking, heat remaining coconut oil in a wok over med high heat.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds to flavor the oil.  Add the pepper and snow peas.  Stir and cook for 1 minute.  Add the noodles, stir and cook until warmed through and no longer clumpy, about a minute or so.  Stir in the teriyaki sauce, coating noodles and vegetables. Allow to cook until heated through while finishing the tuna steaks.

Place a portion of noodles onto a plate.  Slice a tuna steak in half and place on top of the noodles. Print Recipe










1 comment:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.