Saturday, March 14, 2015

Chocolate Mousse Pie for 3.1415 #Pi Day

Image result for pi

Today is pi(e) day, so our friend Terri, from Love & Confections is hosting a very special Pie Event. She gathered up a group of bloggers who love all things food (especially pie) and had us all go to work making our favorite pies with which to celebrate Pi Day.  You will find links to all of the great recipes at the bottom of this post.  You will find old favorites and new recipes to love.  You will find sweet and you will find savory.  Regardless of your tastes, you are sure to find a pie that you love.

Image result for statia cookbook

As for me....the timing was perfect.  You see I was planning an After Dive Party at my house during which I wanted to serve food reminiscent of our trip to the Island of Statia.  I even bought the "Statia Cookbook" while I was there.  Several of our meals were eaten at a restaurant called The Blue Bead. The food was good, the atmosphere was lovely and they were very kind about having 20 loud and laughing people descend upon their restaurant.  One of the desserts they offered was Chocolate Mousse and, while I never had any, several of our group ordered it on more than one occasion because it was so delicious.  While looking through the Statia Cookbook, I found a recipe for a Chocolate Mousse Pie.....perfect for our party and perfect to share with you on Pi Day.  I love win/win situations!


In fact, I was so excited (and I was expecting so many people) that I made two pies.  Perhaps I should have made 3.14 pies.  I made this recipe exactly as written in the Statia Cookbook and it is different than the chocolate cream pie I usually make.  This recipe calls for cream cheese and instant coffee in the filling.  I liked the addition of these ingredients and this may be my new go to cream pie recipe.  After making the pie and drizzling it with chocolate (that was my idea and not part of the recipe), I kicked myself for not drizzling in the shape of PI.  Oh well, 3.14 will come next year too.


Pi Day is celebrated every March 14 by math fans around the world - and also bakers and pastry chefs. Pi is a non-repeating, infinite number represented by the Greek letter π, and used to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Today, March 14, 2015, is an extra special Pi Day, because at 9:26:53 AM it creates the "Pi Moment of the Century". The first ten digits of Pi are 3.141592653 (3/14/15, 9:26 AM and 53 seconds). This exact date and time happens once every hundred years - a once in a lifetime moment for most of us. How cool is that? 


Chocolate Mousse Pie
from the Statia Cookbook

6 oz. semis sweet chocolate
1/3 c. + 2 T. milk
2 T. sugar
1 T. instant coffee
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz non dairy whipped topping
1 premade cookie crumb crust

Place the chocolate, coffee granules and 2 T. of milk in a small, microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.  Set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, beat the sugar into the cream cheese.  Add the chocolate mixture and 1/3 c. milk and beat until smooth.  Fold in the whipped topping and spoon into the crust.  Drizzle with chocolate if desired.  Print Recipe

Today, 20 Food Bloggers have gathered and want to celebrate the fun of Pi by creating their own sweet and savory pies to share with you. Hope you have a delicious day!

Enjoy a slice from the Pi(e) Day Bloggers:



23 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a luscious looking pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with chocolate??? It's like heaven in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Saundra.....I am such a chocoholic and it seems to get worse as I get older.

      Delete
  3. Cream cheese and coffee flavoring in a chocolate mousse pie has my attention too! Wishing you delicious and HAPPY Pi Day!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Pi(e) Day - what a perfect pick for today! Love that creamy chocolaty filling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cream Cheese and Chocolate - totally calling my name. Thanks for joining in today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting Terri and all of your hard work.

      Delete
  6. Love chocolate ANYTHING pie- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who doesn't love a win-win!? Passing one of those pies to me would also be a wi-win...just sayin'. ;) These look mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I'd have to make sure Heather shares one with me because I was going to ask you to share one with me. Love chocolate mousse and yours looks luscious! Happy Pi(e) Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora and no need for fighting between you and Heather. They are easy peasy.....I will make more.

      Delete
  9. This looks amazing, Wendy! I'm definitely making this soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very rich and much heavier than my other chocolate mousse pie recipe.

      Delete
  10. Ooooh, chocolate and coffee is a winner in my book, Wendy! I'm pinning this one to make in the summer when it's 120°F I can hardly bear to turn on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Normally I am not a big fan of chocolate pie. However I do love chocolate mousse!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.