Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ham and Broccoli Quiche for Foodie Extravaganza

I am hosting our Foodie Extravaganza this month and I chose for everyone to share a pie recipe this month.


Foodie Extravaganza



Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.





This is the invitation that I sent to the others in our group:
February has so many food holidays...chocolate, of course. Heart healthy, Red foods, Fondues, Berries, Cherries, Grapefruit and Hot Breakfasts to name just a few. And American Pies....perfect...you can make them red, you can make them chocolate, you can use berries or cherries, you can make them savory and serve them as a hot breakfast, you can make them out of grapefruit....well, maybe not, but if you do you will be my hero!!!
I had great plans for the pie I was going to create for this event.  I signed up to host quite a while ago and didn't anticipate where my life would be at posting time.  Mom passed away on the 27th of January and we had the funeral this past weekend when I would have been creating and baking and scheduling my post.

This event, of course, got placed on the back burner and I apologize to any of the group that felt neglected this month.  I truly appreciate all of the great recipes that you are sharing today.

Frank's sister and brother in law, were kind enough to send a honey baked ham and all the trimmings to our house to serve during the breaks from the funeral home. Thanks Roz and Ron, that was very thoughtful and kind of you.  When things finally calmed down around here and I had time to think of this challenge, I looked in the fridge, found the ham bone with the remaining meat still on it and some broccoli and cheese I had bought for soup that had never gotten made.  I, of course, always have eggs so a Ham and Broccoli Quiche it is.



I love to make quiches.
Layer on any flavors that you love.
Make it ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve.
  1. Start with pastry for a one crust pie.
  2.  Add in meat of your choice
  3. Next is your layer of flavoring, I chose sweet onion, you can use garlic, scallions, leeks, etc.
  4. Layer on one or more vegetables, you want about 1 1/2 c. total
  5. Sprinkle on a cup of cheese.
  6. Pour your custard mixture over all and bake to perfection.


Ham and Broccoli Quiche

Pastry for a one crust pie
1 cup diced ham
1/4 c. diced sweet onion
1 1/2 c. cooked broccoli, chopped
1 c. shredded Colby Jack cheese
4 eggs
1 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Line a deep dish pie pan with the pastry. Sprinkle the ham along the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle with the onion, the broccoli and the cheese.  Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.  Pour over the filled pie crust.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 40-45 minutes, until puffed, golden and a knife inserted into the center removes cleanly. Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.  Print Recipe

Here are the rest of the pies being shared today

BLT Pie by Georgina of G'Gina's Flavors Palatte
Cheddar Leek Potato Pie by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
Cheeseburger Pie by Kathleen at Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Grapefruit Pie by Rebekah at Making Miracles
Ham and Broccoli Quiche by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
Homegrown Blackberry Pie by Carlee of Cooking with Carlee
No Bake Peanut Butter Pie by Lauren of From Gate to Plate
Peaches and Cream Pie by Elaine at Cookin and Craftin
Penne Pie by Terri at Our Good Life
Red Velvet Pudding Pie by Teri of The Freshman Cook
Tar Heel Pie by Tara of Tara's Multicultural Table
The Impossible Coconut Pie by Stacy of Food Lust People Love
Walnut Crumble-Topped Apple Tart by Caroline at Caroline's Cooking

19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Quiche is always a pleasure to have and this one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlee. It is hard losing a parent but harder watching their mind deteriorate with Alzheimer's disease.

      Delete
  2. I love a great quiche. I used to work at a Bass Pro Resort in Missouri... we made quiche every morning and I grew to really love them. Can't wait to try your version. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, I love that they are so versatile allowing you to use whatever ingredients you have on hand.

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful - and I know your life has been a little topsy turvy lately so thank you so much for taking the time to host and organize this lovely event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed that you managed to put together a quiche with everything going on in your life, Wendy. You are a superstar! And I'd love a slice of that quiche, please. Ham, cheese and broccoli is a classic combination, one of my very favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy I truly know what you are going through with my Mum just gone a short 9 months ago. Big hugs coming your way. Fabulous Quiche. I sure agree with Stacy..you are a superstar indeed. I was contemplating a Quiche and although you said not strictly American Pie, I was checking the origin of the Quiche and it said France. So although these days you can nationalise any dish from anywhere in the world with the global cuisine concept, I thought of going with the BLT. Love the Ham and Cheese combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good quiche. ..this looks amazing! Thanks for hosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about your mother, Wendy. Your pie sounds wonderful and it looks stuffed full of yummy comfort food. A great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding this to my list of ones to try! I love quiche. Used to love it at the nursing home when I was a working woman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiche is such an easy peasy way of using up what's in the refrigerator Paula.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Thinking of your family. Your quiche looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm positive that is a hard thing to go through. Thank you so much for hosting. This quiche looks really lovely. I will be trying it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Wendy for all your hard work . My thoughts have been with you and your family. I'm glad you were able to assemble this "pie," every day is better if you can start it with pie!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.