Monday, February 1, 2016

Chicken Puffs for #FreshTastyValentines

I have decided that I will be sharing a complete 7 course meal with you on this Fresh Tasty Valentines Event.  I am posting my Menu today and sharing the recipe for the appetizer course.  Each day you will receive my recipe for the next course as well as linkups to the other bloggers selections for that day.  I hope you enjoy reading and joining us as I am having participating.



Menu Celebrating St. Valentine's Day

Chicken Puffs

Pork Wonton Soup

Seaweed Salad

Shrimp Balls with Tangerine Hatch Chili Dipping Sauce

Lemongrass Sorbet

Pan-Fried Noodles with Shredded Pork

Chinese Almond Cookies

Chocolate Raspberry Bubble Tea


When I think of Fresh and Healthy my mind goes to other cultures.  Mediterranean foods are high on the list and we love them but Asian foods are also easy to prepare with fresh, tasty, nutritious ingredients so that was the road I decided to take.

These Chicken Puffs featuring products supplied to me by Gourmet Garden are the perfect way to start the evening. Let me just say that I love the stir in pastes and lightly dried products from Gourmet Garden.  I use them all year long in my cooking.  They make my life easier.  I don't go into my produce drawer to pull out cilantro or parsley, only to find it is slimy and unusable.  I would not feature any product that I don't love and I would never recommend a product that I did not totally trust even if they gave me a truckload of the stuff.


Don't forget to enter the sponsor giveaways.  They are offering great products for some lucky readers. You can enter at my Welcome to #FreshTastyValentines post


These little puffs are a delicious start to a quiet, romantic evening. Enjoy them with cocktails in front of a roaring fire with music playing softly in the background.  Only one cocktail and a couple of chicken puffs though or you might just never make it back into the kitchen for the remainder of the meal.  You might just end up taking your second or third cocktail down to the hot tub and forego dinner all together.  Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything........



I started by mincing a chicken breast in my food processor.
You could use ground chicken from the grocer as well.



I gathered together the rest of the ingredients needed.
The Gourmet Garden products make life much easier but you could also mince fresh if you like.


Place all the ingredients, except the onions, into a skillet over med high heat until chicken is cooked through.


Stir in the onions and set aside to cool.
While this mixture is cooling pull out your frozen puff pastry sheet to defrost.


After 20 minutes roll out your puff pastry and cut into 25 squares measuring 2.5" each.
Brush each square with egg wash and then add a teaspoon of filling. 


Gather the ends into the middle and twist together.
Press the edges together to seal.


Bake for a few minutes in a hot oven, until puffed and browned.

Chicken Puffs
adapted from The Complete Start your Meal Cookbook

1/2 lb chicken breast, minced or 1/2 lb. ground chicken
3 T. dry sherry
3 T. soy sauce
2 T. oyster sauce
1/2 T. minced fresh ginger root or ginger paste
1 clove garlic minced or 1/2 T. garlic paste
1/2 c. finely chopped scallions including some greens
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
1 egg white
1 T. water

Combine chicken, sherry, soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Cook about 10 minutes for chicken to be cooked through.  Stir in the scallions and set aside to cool.

Thaw one sheet of frozen puff pastry (20 minutes or so) and unfold onto a lightly floured surface. Roll pastry sheet into a 12.5" square.  Cut this square into 25 (2.5") squares.

Beat together egg white and water with a fork.  Brush each small square with the egg wash.  Place 1 t. of chicken onto each small square.  Gather the 4 corners of each square into the middle and twist to seal. Pinch together any openings on the sides of the packet.

Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 400* oven for 10-15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others are sharing today

27 comments:

  1. these sound good! excited to see your full 7 course meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, my family has a similar recipe we love, the name is different. I love your recipe, hubs and I will have to give this a go for sure! Looking forward to the seven course meal. oxox, T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra, let me know how these compare to your recipe.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful start to a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I can't wait to see those other dishes. You are posting everyday! I was lucky to get five done. (Did a lot of cooking this past weekend, dontcha know.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Asian flavor going on in here! Perfect chicken bites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These puffs look SO tasty!! What a fantastic menu you've created (as usual)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that you're sharing a full 7-course meal. And these look amazing. Thanks for joining #FreshTastyValentines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cam and thank you again for doing such a great job with this event.

      Delete
  8. Wendy these sound so good! I wish I had a few right now- great job highlighting our sponsor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound delicious and looking forward to the rest of the courses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look like such a fun and yummy appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute appetizer for Valentine's day

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea, Wendy. And a great appetizer to start off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These puffs looks so tasty and perfect as a starter.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.