Saturday, May 18, 2019

Fasolada #SoupSaturdaySwappers #FoodnFlix

This lemony, white bean, Greek soup is perfect as a starter or paired with a good rustic bread for a hearty lunch or light dinner option.


It's time for Soup Saturday Swappers.  My soup was inspired by the film, "Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again"........


Kathy of  A Spoonful of Thyme is hosting this months Soup Saturday Swappers and asked us all to share a soup made with Craft Beer.



Michigan has tons of Craft Beer and I originally had planned on making a soup showcasing one of them.  However, I had a get together at my house and had bought some Summer Shandy, which is one of my favorite summertime brews.  Summer Shandy is a mixture of beer and lemonade.  It is very refreshing and I love it.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again [Blu-ray]

That, in and of itself, was not enough to make me change my course.  Nope, what made me change my mind about the beer I used was hosting this month's FoodnFlix.  I chose the movie Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again for the members to watch and then create a dish inspired by the film.  You can learn more at my invitation post.

This movie, a sequel to Mamma Mia, is set on a Greek Island and is the story of the daughter born in the first movie.  The original film featured Meryl Streep who does a cameo appearance in the sequel.  It is an all star cast featuring the music of ABBA.  It is a fun, rollicking film with beautiful scenery and a touching story line.  While it is not a foodie film and it doesn't dwell on meals there is still a lot of food to be seen.  Open air markets, buffet tables, wine and appetizers, cocktail parties, restaurant scenes etc.

If you are a food blogger and wish to join in the fun of either of these groups just let me know.  Soup Saturday Swappers posts recipes on the third Saturday of each month based on an ingredient or theme chosen by one of our members.  I will be happy to add you to our group.  Just pop me an email to wendyklik1517@gmail.com.

Let's take a look at the Craft Beer Soups being shared today......

  • Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm: Fasolada
  • Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories: Pressure Cooker Beef and Beer Soup
  • Sid of Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking: Øllebrød (Danish Rye Porridge)
  • Sneha of Sneha’s Recipe: Veg Chessy Beer Soup For Two
  • Kathy of A Spoonful of Thyme: Ale and Cheddar Soup
  • Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings: Boozy Potato Soup

  • FoodnFlix was a great group started by Heather of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen. Heather has been on a bit of a sabbatical lately but the members of this group she started love it so much that we are continuing on during her absence with our friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla at the helm.  

    All bloggers are welcome to join in the fun.  You simply watch the film anytime during the month of May, make a recipe that is inspired by the film and blog about it using #FoodnFlix in the title line of your post.


    Then you can either leave a message in the comments below with a link to the blog post or email me at wendyklik1517@gmail.com so that I can pull a photo from the post and include you in the roundup at the end of the month.  I would like to post the roundup on May 31st and request you send your information no later than May 27th so I can include you.



    My thoughts went right away to Lemon Rice soup using the Summer Shandy as a base for the Classic Greek Soup.  Then, when looking for a recipe I came across an Easy Greek Bean Soup from The Mediterranean Dish.

    I read over the recipe and knew that it would adapt well to the addition of the Summer Shandy and the rest, as they say, is history.  I love when I can take care of two events with one post.  

    Let's stop by and see what the others created with their Craft Beers......




    I couldn't have been happier with how this soup turned out.  Starting with canned beans makes it quick and easy.  I served it as the first course before my Seafood Stuffed Cabbage Leaves that I shared yesterday with Fish Friday Foodies.

    I will be doing a round up of the recipes shared that were inspired by my chosen film on May 31st.  Hope to see you then.



    #Greek, #beans, #lemon, #craftbeer, #summershandy,
    Soups
    Greek
    Yield: 8 servings
    Author:

    Fasolada (Greek Bean Soup)

    This lemony, white bean, Greek soup is perfect as a starter or paired with a good rustic bread for a hearty lunch or light dinner option.
    prep time: 5 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 35 M

    ingredients:

    • 2 T. olive oil
    • 1 onion, diced
    • salt and pepper, to taste
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 large ribs of celery, diced
    • 1 t. dried oregano, crushed
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 bottle Summer Shandy
    • 1 (32 oz) box chicken stock
    • 3 (15 oz) cans Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1/2 t. ground cumin
    • pinch of cayenne pepper
    • zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
    • 1 small bunch parsley,  stemmed and chopped

    instructions:

    How to cook Fasolada (Greek Bean Soup)

    1. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over med high heat.  Add the onions and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, until veggies start to soften.  Stir in the garlic, bay leaf and oregano.  Add the Summer Shandy, bring to a boil and let cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
    2. Add the chicken stock and beans to the pot.  Season with the cumin and cayenne pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
    3. Using an immersion blender, puree about half of the beans.  Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.  Ladle into bowls and drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.

    NOTES:

    As with all bean soups this recipe is better the second day. This recipe adapted from one found at The Mediterranean Dish.
    Calories
    257.59
    Fat (grams)
    7.64
    Sat. Fat (grams)
    1.71
    Carbs (grams)
    33.47
    Fiber (grams)
    6.65
    Net carbs
    26.81
    Sugar (grams)
    5.98
    Protein (grams)
    13.07
    Sodium (milligrams)
    121.20
    Cholesterol (grams)
    12.71
    Created using The Recipes Generator







14 comments:

  1. That soup sounds delicious! I've never heard of Summer Shandy! Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try it Karen. One of my favorite summertime drinks.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Summer Shandy but I am going to look for it. The soup sounds super and "bright" for spring and summer! Thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Kathy. Summer Shandy is only available seasonably and it is delicious.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of a lemon base bean soup. Summer Shandy was a great choice to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup is on my to do list for a long time. This has turned out so delicious, must make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup sounds fabulous, big fan of white beans. And now I am craving a Shandy lol. Thanks for hotsing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great soup. Summer Shandy is a favorite for me as well. Thanks for hosting this fun film. (Still finding myself singing "Super Trouper" at odd times!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Summer Shandy...when we're not drinking wine! And this soup looks delicious. Thanks for hosting Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. As you know, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.