Saturday, May 25, 2019

Giving Honor and Thanks and The Weekly Menu

Memorial Day is a weird holiday to me.  Everyone gets excited about having a 3 day weekend and what is considered by many the onset of summer.  Somewhere in there we might go to a parade.  We have BBQ's and if the weather is conducive we open up the pool so the kids can swim.

Image result for memorial day 2019

But somewhere, in all the festivities, I think we need to take a moment and kneel in prayer.  I think we need to tell the children why they don't have to attend school.  Heck, I think we need to tell the adults why they don't have to go to work.


Perhaps it's just me.  Do you and yours do anything special to remember what this day is for?  Do you take a moment, as an individual, family or group to say a prayer of gratitude for those who have died to guarantee our freedom?

That's what this day is all about.  I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the BBQ's and Picnics have become more important in our society than those who were killed in the service of our Country.  After all, Santa has become much more important than the birth of our Lord and the Easter Bunny has become more important than His Resurrection.

Not that I have anything at all against parties, getaways and get togethers.  Nor Santa and the Easter Bunny, for that matter.  Just that I felt I needed a reminder about why we have this opportunity to celebrate and thought perhaps others might as well.

So celebrate we will.  We hope to gather with family and friends and spend time visiting, eating, drinking and being social.  When we say grace before our meal we will add a special blessing and thanks to those who died to keep this Country as great as it has always been.

Our celebration started yesterday.  We got to spend the day with the Angel Face for Grandparents Day at her school  Last night we met up with her Mama and Julien for a nice dinner out so that we could return her.

This weekend, weather permitting, will be spent on yard work and opening the pool.  We have Mass this afternoon.  Monday I hope to have some friends over for a casual gathering.  

The rest of this week is pretty quiet which is a wonderful relief after such a crazy hectic month.  I hope your weekend is enjoyable and if you have lost a loved one who was in the armed forces I thank you for your sacrifice and send you virtual hugs for your pain.

If you are going to or hosting a potluck this weekend here are some Patriotic Food Ideas for you.  











Here is what's on my Menu for the Holiday Weekend and the rest of the Week......

Saturday
Grilled Chicken Caesar with Avocado

Sunday
Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin
Grilled Baby Potatoes 
Grilled Asparagus

Monday-Memorial Day
BBQ Ribs
Coles Slaw
Potato Salad
Strawberry Shortcake Bars

Toddler Tuesday
Cornflake Crusted Pork Nuggets
Tater Tots
Veggies with Ranch

Wednesday
Roasted Pomegranate Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Glazed Carrots

Thursday
Leftovers

Friday
Date Night with Frank

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about how you feel about Memorial Day. We absolutely need to take a moment and be thankful. Lovely Post!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.