Monday, May 20, 2019

Kladdkaka #TheCakeSliceBakers

Kladdkaka translates to "Sticky Cake" in Swedish. This dense, fudgy, gooey, delicious cake is quick and easy to make.  Serve it topped with whipped cream and fruit or warm with a scoop of ice cream.


This recipe is the first I am sharing with a new (to me) group that I joined called The Cake Slice Bakers.


This group is led by Felice of All That's Left Are The Crumbs.  This group began in 2007 and I just discovered it recently.  I am so happy that Felice is including me in the membership.  Each year a cookbook is chosen from which we will bake.  Each month 4 recipes are chosen from the cookbook and we can choose which we wish to make.  



This year's book is The European Cake Cookbook and this month's choices were Klaadakaka, Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cake, Sirnek Ukranian Cherry Cheesecake and Amaretto Creme Cake.  

You know what I chose, let's see what the others chose to make this month.......


Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is The European Cake Cookbook by Tatyana Nesteruk. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes! Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details. The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.

Our choices for May 2019 were ~
Kladdkaka-Sticky Chocolate Cake Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cake Sirnek-Ukrainian Cherry Cheesecake Amaretto Creme Cake 

Kladdkaka-Sticky Chocolate Cake
Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cake
Amaretto Creme Cake

Let me tell you, I was very surprised and pleased at the ease of making and baking this cake.  It has a brownie like top and a fudge like interior.


There was one problem with this cake.   I couldn't stop eating it.  I had a piece with whipped cream and berries as suggested in the cookbook after dinner for dessert.  Then, later that night, I snuck back into the kitchen, heated a slice in the microwave and topped it with a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream. 


I don't know which one I loved the most.  Tonight, I'm topping a slice with ice cream, covering it with hot fudge, adding whipped cream and sprinkling on some berries.   I will be very glad when this cake is gone....it is dangerous for me to have around the house!!



#cake, #desserts, #chocolate, #quick, #easy
Desserts, Cakes
Swedish
Yield: 12 servings
Author:

Kladdkaka (Sticky Chocolate Cake)

prep time: 20 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 50 M
Kladdkaka translates to "Sticky Cake" in Swedish. This dense, fudgy, gooey, delicious cake is quick and easy to make. Serve it topped with whipped cream and fruit or warm with a scoop of ice cream.

ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 6 T. baking cocoa
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • Desired toppings: whipped cream, assorted berries, ice cream, chocolate sauce, etc.

instructions:

How to cook Kladdkaka (Sticky Chocolate Cake)

  1. Place eggs and sugar in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes, until thick and pale in color.
  2. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt.  Sift over the egg mixture in small batches, folding the batter with a spatula gently but thoroughly after each addition.  When all of the flour mixture has been incorporated, add the butter and vanilla.  Continue folding gently until completely mixed in.
  3. Pour batter into a springform pan that has been treated with baking spray and lined on the bottom with parchment.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for about half an hour.  The cake should have a thin crust but have a slight give.  Remove to a cooling rack and cool in the pan for half an hour.
  4. Slice and serve with toppings of choice.  Traditional toppings for this cake are whipped cream and fresh berries.  It is also very good served warm with ice cream.

NOTES:

Recipe adapted from The European Cake Cookbook.
Calories
225.58
Fat (grams)
6.90
Sat. Fat (grams)
3.68
Carbs (grams)
38.00
Fiber (grams)
1.50
Net carbs
36.50
Sugar (grams)
29.30
Protein (grams)
3.62
Sodium (milligrams)
116.25
Cholesterol (grams)
61.01
Created using The Recipes Generator




14 comments:

  1. I have made this cake before and it IS hard to stop eating it, isn't it? I'm so glad you joined this group, Wendy. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with this cake too. I love the idea of reheating it and serving it with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous! Does it really need only 1/4 cup butter? That's not too rich so would be on the healthy side, especially with all the cocoa. I would add walnuts too so it would be like a brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my second choice and now I wish I had made it. No doubt it would have been difficult for me to stop eating it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, at the end I was eating them plain, just like a brownie.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the group - great first bake! Looks delicious and decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious! I am going to have to make it for an occasion where I'll have to share--I don't think I'd be able to stop at a slice (or even two)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heating it up and topping with ice cream, yum! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.