Friday, May 3, 2019

Mexican Casserole #CincodeMayo

I love making meals from planned leftovers.  In this delicious casserole your Sunday Roast Chicken is turned into the perfect meal for Mexican Monday, Taco Tuesday or, in this case, Cinco de Mayo.


Join in the fun as we share recipes to help you celebrate Cinco de Mayo in style......


Heather of Hezzi D's Books and Cooks asked us to join her in helping our readers prepare for their Cinco de Mayo celebrations coming up on Sunday.

Image result for cinco de mayo

Check out all the other amazing Cinco de Mayo recipes:
 We love Mexican food around our house.  We celebrate Mexican Monday and Taco Tuesday at least once a month.



The recipe is a family favorite.  My family loves it because of the taste.  I love it because it helps me to use up leftovers and it is quick and easy to make.

I get to finish off that bag of corn chips that is sitting on the pantry shelf as well as any leftover chicken that is in the refrigerator.  No corn chips?  Break up some taco shells, it will work just as well.



It can be made ahead of time and you can use any beans that you have in the cupboard.  In this instance I used garbanzo and kidney beans but I have also used pinto beans and black beans in this casserole.  I used my homemade salsa this time but when I have leftover salsa in the refrigerator I use that.  Sometimes I use two different kinds and/or strengths of salsa.  It doesn't matter as long as the measurements are the same.

You can add corn, either fresh, frozen or canned, or omit it as you prefer.  If you love cilantro throw some in.  I used a Mexican Blend Cheese this time but you can use whatever cheeses you have, just mix and match until you have 2 cups.



This is an old recipe that I have been making for years.  I think it originally came from Taste of Home but I can't be certain.  It is very adaptable to everyone's likes and preferences so go for it and enjoy.



#Mexican, #Mexicanrecipes, #chicken, #casseroles, #beans, #salsa,
Entrees, Casseroles,
Mexican
Yield: 9
Author:

Mexican Casserole

prep time: 15 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 45 M
I love making meals from planned leftovers. In this delicious casserole your Sunday Roast Chicken is turned into the perfect meal for Mexican Monday, Taco Tuesday or, in this case, Cinco de Mayo.

ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c. crushed tortilla chips or taco shells
  • 2 c. cooked chicken, shredded
  • 2 (15 oz) cans of beans, rinsed and drained (I used garbanzo and kidney)
  • 1 c. corn kernels, thawed if frozen, drained if canned
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 c. salsa of choice
  • 1 small sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I used a Mexican blend)

instructions:

How to cook Mexican Casserole

  1. Place the crushed chips on the bottom of a 9x13" pan that has been treated with cooking spray.  
  2. Combine the chicken, beans, corn, sauce, salsa, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.  Place half the mixture onto the chips, sprinkle with half the cheese.  Cover with the remaining chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  3. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for half an hour, until bubbly and golden brown.
  4. Serve with all your favorite toppings, sour cream , guacamole, etc.
Calories
262.12
Fat (grams)
14.18
Sat. Fat (grams)
6.15
Carbs (grams)
19.40
Fiber (grams)
2.77
Net carbs
16.63
Sugar (grams)
6.16
Protein (grams)
16.02
Sodium (milligrams)
497.82
Cholesterol (grams)
53.06
Created using The Recipes Generator

7 comments:

  1. I love that this is all cooked as a casserole! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how easy this is to customize, my guys and I will really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That casserole sounds totally tasty. I love every component. This would be a great way to bribe my grown kids to come over =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great "clean out the fridge" dinner - my husband would love it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.