We have traveled through all of France and are now finishing up in the Alsace region. Alsace lies on the west bank of the Rhine and shares a border with Germany. Because of the location Germany and this region of France share many of the same types of wine. Alsace is best known for it's white wines such as Riesling and Gewerztraminer which I chose to showcase today.
Why did I chose to showcase this particular wine?
Because after 4 stores and 45 miles this was the first bottle I found.
This was also the only wine from the Alsace region that they carried.
The Helfrich Winery, established in 1934 is a family ran business.
The Helfrich family is descended from a long line of Alsatians.
You can learn about them and their wines at this site.
Gewurztraminer is translated to Spice Traminer.
Traminer is the Sauvignon Blanc grape that is the base of this wine.
It is one of the rare wines that pairs well with Asian Foods.
So with all the Asian cooking I do you would think that I would pair it with that!
Nope, uhuh....No Asian on the menu this week.
What was on the menu was Fried Chicken served with mashed potatoes, corn and the Baked Lentils that I shared earlier today in the CIC post. It was a great pairing and I enjoyed this wine very much. The next time I am in the area of the store where I purchased it I will be picking up a couple more bottles to pour with our next Asian meal.
Let's take a look at some more wonderful wines from the Alsace Region
- Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla is sharing “Pinot Blanc-Braised Duck Over Caramelized Fennel and Mushrooms”
- David of Cooking Chat shares “Chipotle Chicken and Black Beans with a Gewürtz”
- Jeff from Food Wine Click is sharing “Choucroute Garni: Fancy French Kielbasa & Sauerkraut”
- Jill of L’Occasion shares “Wine for a Spring Meal: Camille Braun Auxerrois 2013”
- Martin of Enofylz Wine Blog is sharing “Cross-Cultural Food and Alscace Wine Pairings with Trimbach Riesling”
- Michelle from Rockin Red Blog shares “Rockin Alsace Riesling with #Winophiles”
- Wendy from A Day 0n the Life of a Farm tempts us with “Gewurztraminer with Fried Chicken”
- Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva is sharing “The Versatile Wines of Alsace”
Loire Valley Tour
- March 19th – Pays/Nantes
- April 16th – Anjou/Saumer
- May 21st – Touraine/Vouvray
- June 18th – Upper Loire – Cheverny, Sancerre, Pouilly-Fume/Pouilly-Sur-Loire