Friday, January 15, 2016

Welcome to #FishFridayFoodies

I am very excited to tell you about a new group that I have started called Fish Friday Foodies.  In the interest of eating healthier in 2016, I decided to get more serious about my tradition of eating seafood or fish at least once a week.  I always plan on doing this but too often need to change up my menu due to life happening and usually the meal taken off the schedule is the fish/seafood meal because that doesn't get taken out of the freezer until the day I am going to make it while the other meat gets taken out of the freezer when I make my Weekly Menu.

I started by beginning a facebook group and then inviting others to join me in creating and sharing a fish or seafood dish on the third Friday of each month.  We will all link up together and share them with, you, our readers.  We also have a Pinterest board, for sharing and inspiration.  I was very excited when 17 people responded to my invitation.  I believe the bigger the party the better so if you would like to join us, we would be happy to have you.  You will find all that information below our linkups.

You would think that for my very first post of my very first group I would make something absolutely fabulous....like something you would see in a 5 star restaurant.....something impressive and intimidating.  Nope, that's not me folks!  My motto is easy, peasy and delicious.  When I am looking for a recipe I look for flavors I love in methods with which I am comfortable.  When I post recipes I try to follow the same guidelines so that my readers/followers are at ease with the process.



So today I am serving up Shrimp Tacos.  They are done in a flash.  They are delicious enough to serve company.  In fact, I did serve them to company.  We had a Fiesta here last weekend and these shrimp tacos were part of a build your own taco bar that we put together as the entree course. They are also budget friendly, especially if you buy the shrimp when it is on sale and have it in your freezer.


I started out making a pineapple salsa to go with the shrimp tacos.
Green onions, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, mandarin oranges and pineapple.
Toss it together early in the day and chill until ready to serve.


Have all your other ingredients ready to go.
It only takes about 5 minutes once you start cooking to have dinner on the table.


Saute it all together and serve it up with whatever fixings you like and the fruit salsa.


Why is it the messier it is to eat the better it seems to taste?


Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
adapted from Cooking Light

Salsa:

4 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
1 T. chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
juice of half a lime
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
Half of a fresh pineapple, cut into small dice

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Chill until ready to serve.

Tacos:

1 T. olive oil
1 yellow or red pepper, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 roma tomato, diced
1 1/2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
2 T. chopped cilantro
6" tortillas ( I like white corn tortillas)
Shredded Mexican cheese to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over med high heat.  Add the pepper strips and garlic.  Cook until the pepper strips start to get tender, about 2 minutes.  Add the tomato, shrimp and spices.  Stir and cook until shrimp are pink and opaque, about three minutes longer.  Stir in cilantro and serve with heated tortillas, pineapple salsa and shredded cheese.  Print Recipe




Would you like to join Fish Friday Foodies?  We post and share new seafood/fish recipes on the third Friday of the month.  To join our group please email Wendy at wendyklik1517@gmail.com.

Visit our Facebook page and Pinterest page for more wonderful fish and seafood recipe ideas.


27 comments:

  1. Good job Wendy! Thank you for organizing this. While I have been involved in food blogging groups for a while, I am very ignorant about the mechanics of posting! If I leave something out it isn't intentional! Hopefully, I will learn as we go:) I will get my post up after lunch today. We love shrimp tacos and yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love the sweet fruit combo with shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this group already, Wendy. Thanks for giving us a good nudge. And your tacos look fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Wendy! I have heard of fish tacos but have never tried them. I think yours sounds amazing! But, then I love everything you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for starting this group Wendy, it is just the nudge I needed to start serving my family fish once a week. Something I've been meaning to do for quite awhile, but that only happened about once a month. Not sure why, as there are LOTS of yummy recipes out there for fish. I am loving your tacos, they look delicious and I don't even care for shrimp. :) I am definitely going to try your recipe out though, and sub in fish for the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be marvelous with fish as well April. Thanks so much for joining in the fun.

      Delete
  6. Yumm!! I have still yet to make fish / shrimp tacos, but it is high on my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's pretty fabulous to me!! I'd serves them for guests too! Thanks for the new group and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious Wendy! Thanks for getting the group started!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I can't wait to try these when I'm back on solid food. These look marvelous and I love the tropical twist to them.

    Thanks for starting this fun group Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are back to normal very soon Christy. Thanks for participating with us.

      Delete
  10. Wendy that looks lovely! So flavoursome. I am a die hard seafood fan ever since childhood. I even have a nickname associated with seafood that a vegetarian friend playfully calls me. I need to have seafood with at least one meal and that has always been lunch. So when you started this group you can imagine why I was over the moon! Thank you, thank you so much! You have made me utterly happy. Well-done on creating the group and congratulations on Event 1. Looking forward to Event 2 though I am still fishing for ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please excuse my ignorance what is the ingredient in lower half of the first pic with a spoon in it (its darkish brown in colour)? I think I know but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the spicy shrimp but, truly, that salsa! I could eat it with a spoon straight out of the bowl! Thanks for inviting me to join your group, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that the salsa makes this dish. Thanks so much for joining Stacy.

      Delete
  13. Your tacos sound really fresh and tasty. Thanks for coordinating the group and I'm already looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.