Thursday, January 21, 2016

Lemon and Rosemary Pound Cake for #BundtBakers


This month's Bundt Bakers is being hosted by June of How to Philosophize with Cake.  Junes blog is subtitled "A blog about cake, writing, life and all things sweet".  I love that philosophy and if you hop on over to June's blog, I'm sure you will enjoy reading all of her "sweet" posts.

So with a name like that, you would think June would pick a "sweet" theme for our Bundt Cakes this month wouldn't you?  Nope....June decided to challenge us by choosing weird flavor combinations. She asked that they be "Strange but Good".  Hmmmmmm.....I really had to put my thinking cap on for this one.

I thought of all the cakes I have eaten over the years and none of them really fit into this category.  I started thinking about flavors that I liked that could be used in a cake and thought of Rosemary (since I happened to have some in my refrigerator).  I punched in a search for cakes containing Rosemary and found on by Betty Crocker that I adapted to fit this theme.


When adapting the recipe I should have made it 1 1/2 times the size given so that it filled up the Bundt pan.  As it is, I should have cooked the cake for 5-10 minutes less.  It wasn't burnt but it was a little crisp.  I have lowered the cooking time in the recipe I am sharing.


The most fun was watching my family and friends grab a piece of this cake and take a bite.  Nobody really expects to get hit with Rosemary when taking a bite of cake and they all looked quite surprised. Then they took a second bite and a smile would come to their face because while it strange it was also good.  Great theme June.  Thanks.

Lemon Rosemary Pound Cake
slightly adapted from Betty Crocker

1 1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 T. fresh Rosemary leaves, finely chopped
Grated Peel and Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 c. whipping cream
Powdered sugar for sprinkling

In large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, rosemary, lemon peel, vanilla and eggs.  Once combined, raise mixing level and beat at high speed for 5 minutes.  Add the cream to the lemon juice and let set to sour the cream.  Reduce speed to low and add flour alternately with the soured cream, beating just until smooth.

Pour into a Bundt Pan that has been treated with baking spray and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar.  Print Recipe

Ready for some more Strange but Good Combos?


BundtBakers#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.

30 comments:

  1. I have a large rosemary bush in my garden and I'm always looking for recipes to use it. A bright lemon-y cake with it sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rosemary in the cake-it must smell gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, looks really good your cake! And must be really delicious the rosemary with lemon! I made this month one with rosemary and olive oil and also everyone looked surprised but after that took a second slice ;-) See you next month! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lara, it was fun seeing the look on their face as they took a bite, but everyone loved it.

      Delete
  4. There really is nothing better than a moist lemony bundt cake in my opinion! To pair rosemary with it sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, this sounds so good! I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon and Rosemary are one of my favorite flavor combinations though I am yet to try it in a bundt cake and your's just motivates me to do it at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rosemary in desserts...it totally works and I absolutely love the sound of your bundt! :D

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemary is so so so good in sweet things and paired with lemon ! Oh YUMM! Love your bundt cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this combo! Rosemary is such a wonderful addition to desserts, so unexpectedly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy this looks like an amazing flavor combination! I was reading the recipe and didn't see the flour quantity in the ingredients list though, did I overlook it? I love unique combinations like this and will definitely save this one to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Rebekah. Hate when I do that LOL. Fixing it now.

      Delete
  11. I love cakes that provide a twist in the taste, and rosemary is a great addition to lemon. I'll have to grab some rosemary on my next grocery run so that I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of flavors to pair with rosemary in this month's theme, I so want to try all of them. Lovely bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of flavors to pair with rosemary in this month's theme, I so want to try all of them. Lovely bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've tried this combination before. It's definitely a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Happy blogging!

    Books and Manuals
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the combo of lemon and rosemary and almost went with it for my Bundt this month! Sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.