Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Chickpea and Honey Thumbprint Cookies for Crazy Ingredient Challenge

Oh I was so tempted to make Honey Roasted Chickpeas for this challenge.  Of course, that is the first thought that comes to mind when given the word that this months foods were chickpeas and honey. I thought I would add a bit of chili powder to add some kick.  I knew it would be the perfect recipe...easy peasy and delicious.  Then I thought that everybody else was probably thinking the same thing and I could just imagine a list at the bottom of this post with a dozen roasted chickpea recipes.

So then I remembered when I made white chocolate baba ghanouj.  That sounded like a CIC challenge but it wasn't.  It was a chocolate challenge and let me tell you that baba ghanouj is the BOMB!!  Perhaps hummus made with honey would be just as tasty...hmmmmmm.  Kind of like a honey butter for your hot off the griddle pita bread.  That still sounds good to me and I may try it sometime.

But I really wanted something that my Little Miss could eat.  I was afraid the honey roasted chickpeas would be too crispy and crunchy.  And I could just see her spreading the hummus into her hair....ah.....no thanks.  So how about muffins or cookies or brownies?  That's the ticket.  I did a google search and found this great recipe for thumbprint cookies that would be a healthy treat for Melody.  The recipe called for agave or maple syrup as it was vegan but I adapted it to use honey and my problem was resolved.

This recipe was found on The Colorful Kitchen  by Ilene, which features vegan recipes.  This is a wonderful blog for those of us who do not usually cook vegan but occasionally may have guests who are vegan or who enjoy celebrating Meatless Mondays.  The byline to this blog is "Vegan Recipes. Colorful. Not Complicated."  If all of the recipes turn out as well as these cookies we have struck gold!!


Look at all these healthy wonderful ingredients.
Okay, maybe I could have done better than the Jif, but guys.....I LOVE Jif!!
Feel free to use another, healthier nut butter if you want.
If you want vegan, please use the agave or maple syrup.
This challenge called for honey and we are not vegan in this household.

The verdict: Not only did my Angel Face love them but so did I, her grampy and her Mom.  These were absolutely delicious.  I could give them to Melody and to the rest of the family without any guilt.  They are healthy and could be healthier had I used a natural nut butter.  They are gluten free and they are vegan if you sweeten them with agave or maple syrup, which will make them a perfect dessert when we have our friends over who are vegans.


They were quick, easy and only made 1 dozen cookies.
That is perfect!!
I will be making these quite often for my Little Miss Melody.

Thanks Ilene, for this wonderful recipe.  It worked perfectly for this challenge.  It was a wonderful snack for my granddaughter and it was the epitome of my perfect recipe....easy, peasy and delicious. I will be back to visit your blog again very soon.

Chickpea and Honey Thumbprints
adapted from Ilene of The Colorful Kitchen

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1/2 c. peanut butter
2 t. vanilla paste
1/4 c. honey
1 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 c. rolled oats
jam or fruit spread (I used 100% raspberry fruit spread)

Combine all ingredients except oats and jam in a food processor.  Pulse, scraping as needed, until pureed and smooth.  Transfer to a bowl and stir in the oats.  With wet hands form into 12 balls, approximately 1.5" thick.  Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten slightly with the pal of your hand.  Make an indentation in each cookie with your thumb and then fill the indentation with jam or the fruit spread.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 15-20 minutes or until cookies are firm around the edges.  Print Recipe

Let's take a look at the others creations!!






13 comments:

  1. Yes! The first thing I thought of was honey roasted chickpeas. I love that these are flourless. Will be giving them a try. ~krayvengirl~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I think I'd like to try these cookies.
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for thinking the farthest outside the box! I'm going to have to check out Ilene's blog for some other recipes for my vegetarian daughter. I'm definitely going to be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I was behind on your blog by 8 posts. All caught up now and would love to try one of these cookies!! You are an awesome cook Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for persevering Paula and for always giving me a boost in the self confidence department.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I thought of roasted chickpeas too and avoided them for the same reason.

    I am sure the oatmeal and peanut butter would help avoid my crumbling issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any problems with crumbling but they were very sticky.

      Delete
  6. I made honey roasted chickpeas but didn't post them for the sane reason. I did take pics just in case I didn't like my fudge. Our recipes have pretty similar ingredients so I know this is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that Kelsey. I am sure your fudge was great.

      Delete
  7. Good idea! I bet I could get my Firecracker to eat these healthier cookies too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.