Thursday, January 7, 2016

Waffles Benedict with a Creamy Sage Sauce

We celebrated the kick off of  National #SundaySupper month last week.  Each time I participate in any event I always make it a point to visit each other guests offering for said event.  Last week's Sunday Supper took me days to go through as there were so many participants.  I don't mind because it is worth it. Not only do you get to meet some great bloggers, many of whom become friends, but you find some great recipes and inspiration while spreading the love.

I found some great inspiration when I visited Bernadette at My Crazy Kitchen.  She had posted a delicious looking Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles with Creamy Ham and Mustard Gravy. Doesn't that make your mouth water??

As I was reading through her post all I could think is how delicious this recipe would be topped with a perfectly poached egg.  I think I may have mentioned that to Bernadette when I commented on her post.  I love getting comments on my posts so I always try to comment on posts that I read.


I, of course, adapted Bernadette's recipe but I kept the same flavor profile.  I reduced it to make 2 servings as it was only Frank and I home when I made it.  I didn't have any fresh sage so I used rubbed sage.  I used a Colby Jack blend for the cheese and I added cheese to the sauce as well. I love extra pepper in my cheese sauce so I added a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.  Last but not least, I added the poached egg on top.


I made the waffles first and then kept them warm under the heat lamps.  Alternately you can keep them in a warming drawer or in a preheated 200* oven while preparing the sauce and eggs.


The sauce was made using light cream, cornstarch, rubbed sage, cracked pepper, ham and more cheese.  I kept it warm over low heat while poaching the eggs.


When everything else was ready and waiting, I poached the eggs in shimmering salt water treated with vinegar.


I topped the waffle with some of the sauce and then place a poached egg on top.  Seasoned it with additional pepper and some salt.


Added some the remaining sauce over the top of the egg and brunch was served.  I didn't have any fresh sage or parsley on hand but a little sprinkle of green would have been a welcome addition to this dish.


The eggs were cooked perfectly.  This dish is decadent and rich.  It would be a lovely brunch to serve to guests with a fresh fruit salad.  It is going to make more appearances at this table, that is a certainty.

Waffles Benedict with a Creamy Sage Sauce
inspired by Bernadette at My Crazy Kitchen

Waffles:

1/2 c. pancake mix
1/3 c. milk
1 egg
1 T. butter, melted
pinch of rubbed sage
2 slices, deli sliced ham, chopped
1/4 c. Colby Jack cheese, shredded

Whisk together all ingredients.  Heat waffle maker and lightly spray with cooking oil.  Add half of the batter to the waffle iron and cook per manufacturer's directions.  Repeat with second half of batter.  Keep waffles warm while making the sauce and eggs.

Creamy Sage Sauce:

1 c. half and half
3 slices, deli sliced ham, chopped
2 t. honey champagne mustard
4-5 grinds of the peppermill
1 t. cornstarch
pinch of rubbed sage
1/4 c. Colby Jack cheese, shredded

Place cream, mustard, cornstarch, pepper and sage into a small saucepan over medium heat.  Cook and stir until it starts to thicken.  Add the cheese and continue cooking and stirring until melted. Stir in ham and keep warm over low heat until eggs are poached.

Poached Eggs:

2 large eggs
dash of vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a skillet filled with 2" of salted water to a steady simmer. I call this a shimmer...the water should look like it is moving but with no boiling. Crack the eggs into two individual ramekins.  Add a dash of vinegar to the water and stir gently to create a whirlpool effect. Gently add the eggs one at a time, slipping them into the water, whites first.  Let cook for about 3 minutes, until white is set but yolk is soft and runny.  Remove from water with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.  

To Assemble:

Place a waffle on each plate.  Add scant 1/2 c. sauce on each waffle. Top with a poached egg, season with salt and pepper.  Pour remaining sauce over the poached egg.  Print Recipe















4 comments:

  1. It's been way too long since I've made waffles. These look amazing! I love poached eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have brand new waffle plates that go with my grill and I have never used them! I love poached eggs too!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.