Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday Funday....and Chili Dog Nachos

Earlier this week when I posted the Weekly Menu, I left Friday open hoping that we would be able to sneak away for a date night.  Well, prayers get answered all the time around here and quite often they are answered by me dear friend, Kirsten.

Image result for angels disguised as friends 

She and John are coming over tonight to stay with Mom while Frank and I go out for dinner and catch the new Star Wars movie before it leaves the theaters.  It not only takes a village to raise a child but it also takes a village to lose a Mom.  This morning my friend, Sandy, is coming over to stay with Mom while I run some errands.  Tomorrow Kirsten is coming back to stay with Mom until my sister can get here from her doc appointment, while we take Little Miss to see Sesame Street Live.

Image result for star wars 7

I don't know what I would do without the loving family and friends I have to support us during this time. I will be back tomorrow to let you know how we enjoyed the movie and how our Angel Face enjoyed Sesame Street Live.

Image result for sesame street live

Before I leave, I want to share our dinner from last night.  I found this recipe, where else?, in a Cuisine at Home that I was thumbing through and it sounded so much fun.  I had bought a large package of Kowalski hot dogs to have on hand for lunches when the family was down from Traverse City and then we ended up not opening them.  We were just going to have plain old hot dogs for dinner until I came across this recipe for Chili Dog Nachos.


Layers of toasted baguettes in place of chips, covered with browned hot dog slices, homemade chili sauce and cheese.  Garnished with pickles and onions.  These would be perfect for a Super Bowl Party or perhaps a game night or poker night with family and friends.


I added extra mustard to mine and they were awesome.  Tasted just like Coney Dog's and I'm from Michigan, the home of the Coney Dog.  What's not to love?

Chili Dog Nachos
slightly adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #115

1 baguette, sliced 1/4" thick and toasted in a 450* oven for 2 or 3 minutes, until golden brown.
4 hot dogs, sliced
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T. tomato paste
1 1/2 T. chili powder
1 T. yellow mustard
1 1/2 c. beef broth
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped dill pickles and onion for garnish.
Mustard and Ketchup if desired

Cook hot dog slices in a large skillet over high heat until browned.  Remove to paper towel lined plate and set aside.  In same pan, add ground beef and crush with a potato masher until very fine and cooked through, about 3 or 4 minutes, over med high heat.  Stir in the onion, garlic and continue to cook a couple minutes longer.  Add the tomato paste, chili powder and mustard cook for a couple minutes longer then add the broth.  Stir to combine, reduce heat to medium and simmer chili until saucy, about 10 minutes, season with salt.

Place half of the toasted bread onto the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan, sprinkle with 1/2 of the hot dogs, cover with 1/2 of the chili sauce and sprinkle on 1/2 of the cheese.  Return to the preheated 450* oven for 3 or 4 minutes until cheese melts.  Remove from oven and add another layer of nachos over the first.  Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.   Sprinkle with the chopped onions and pickles and serve with additional mustard and ketchup to pass.  Print Recipe



6 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your date night!! I miss having those! And going to Sesame Street Live with the little one should be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo.. my husband and I just saw Star Wars! Enjoy! I a so glad you have people around you that are such blessings. I wish I could meet you face to face because you must be such a wonderful person and a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Vickie. I try to treat others as I like being treated and it seems to work. Looking forward to the movie tonight.

      Delete
  3. What a fun twist on chili dogs! Looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.